What's new

New Firmware - July 8, 2014

clrk9000

There is a new firmware released just now.

I just installed it. What I noticed is that on battery the WIFI connection will not throttle down to 6mbps. It now stays at 300mbps which I believe is the max connection for my router (EA4500).

I would not say it solved the WIFI limited issue as I had just installed it but I sincerely hope so.

ADDENDUM: NOPE WIFI LIMITED STILL THERE and STILL THROTTLING DOWN TO 6mbps.

2.) Restored to factory defaults and installed updates. No throttling down to 6mbps but the WIFI Limited is still happening.

3.) Can those experiencing NO PROBLEM with WIFI Limited indicate what router they are using? Really appreciate the information.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

I got a whole bunch of updates - all relating to Win 8.1/ IE etc. But no new firmware as such...maybe it will come through a little later.

bluegrass

None here either. Perhaps his computer was just catching up on a previous firmware that he didn't have.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On my machine, I received the Firmware about 45 minutes after the regular patches, on my wife's everything was installed together (I updated her's after mine to make sure it was OK)....

jimp

The Surface Pro 3 Update History notes there will be another update on July 16 to further improve Wi-Fi connection and throughput scenarios. That's good to know.

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/install-update-activate/pro-3-update-history

Also: "When Surface updates are provided via the Windows Update service, they are delivered in stages to Surface customers. As a result, not every Surface will receive the update at the same time, but the update will be delivered to all devices. If you have not received the update, please manually check Windows Update later."

I haven't received the update yet. But I sure hope it helps. Today is the last day of my Best Buy return window and it would be really nice to not wonder anymore if the unit is defective or if a software update really will fix it. :) Hat tip to Microsoft for working hard on the issue.

malberttoo

Today is the last day of my Best Buy return window and it would be really nice to not wonder anymore if the unit is defective or if a software update really will fix it.

If that's the case, you should return it anyways. Even if the next one has the same issues, at least you won't be stuck with a unit that you can no longer return.

ipaq_101

I am at work on battery and am connected at 54 Mbps after the updates today, didn't have a chance to check what it was before the update, at home on battery it was always limited to 6 Mbps.

jimp

If that's the case, you should return it anyways. Even if the next one has the same issues, at least you won't be stuck with a unit that you can no longer return.
You're right. And I actually have tried that. I picked up a second SP3 last Thursday, which has demonstrated the same issues exactly. I owned the first for about 10 days before finally deciding to try a second one, so I already have an extensive setup that I would have to redo from scratch, and then what to do after that 15 days... As disappointed as I am about the wireless card disappearing every 10-15 resumes, it really is nothing compared to the amount of time it would take to redo this laptop over and over.

I think Microsoft is going to get this issue fixed, and the second unit I purchased (I think) confirmed for me that it must be pretty a wide-spread issue. But I didn't think that originally. Who knows, maybe I'll return the first unit to Best Buy before they close tonight. I hate this cycle of "Is it hardware? Is it software?" that really only exists because Microsoft rarely confirms or denies these issues we all discuss among ourselves. And is Best Buy going to close before Windows Update lets me have the update?? I've been trying to get it since noon.

Anyone who has gotten the update, please report back how it's working for you.

ipaq_101

You're right. And I actually have tried that. I picked up a second SP3 last Thursday, which has demonstrated the same issues exactly. I owned the first for about 10 days before finally deciding to try a second one, so I already have an extensive setup that I would have to redo from scratch, and then what to do after that 15 days... As disappointed as I am about the wireless card disappearing every 10-15 resumes, it really is nothing compared to the amount of time it would take to redo this laptop over and over.

I think Microsoft is going to get this issue fixed, and the second unit I purchased (I think) confirmed for me that it must be pretty a wide-spread issue. But I didn't think that originally. Who knows, maybe I'll return the first unit to Best Buy before they close tonight. I hate this cycle of "Is it hardware? Is it software?" that really only exists because Microsoft rarely confirms or denies these issues we all discuss among ourselves. And is Best Buy going to close before Windows Update lets me have the update?? I've been trying to get it since noon.

Anyone who has gotten the update, please report back how it's working for you.

Did you do a check for updates? A manual check? I did and it found the updates, I installed them and the connectivity seems better as I mentioned in a few posts up.

wynand32

I still haven't received the updates, after a manual check just a few minutes ago. So, apparently, they're being pretty slow in pushing them out. Or, there are more SP3's out in the wild than I thought...