What's new

Rugged case that works with Docking station??

`Bkoso

Hello,

I'm going to me using my surface pro 3 in my auto shop and using it as my main computer. I want to use the docking station but I want to know if a case will still let me?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Most of the 'generic' USB 3.0 docking stations will work that way. I have the Targus USB SuperSpeed Dual Video. which works great with my quite hardy frogskin Urban Armor Gear Surface Rogue Red Pro 3 case, which has its own stand.

I also have the frogskin Urban Armor Gear Rogue Red Folio for my iPhone 6 Plus.

The Surface is covered with a Stickerboy 'Black Ostrich', and the keyboard with a Stickerboy red. The Surface Pro 3 is separately protected, because I don't always keep it in the Urban Armor Gear cover.

The screen has a Zagg glass protector.

I do geology/geophysics worldwide with this rugged setup. The Docking Station is very lightweight and small enough to bring along.

IMG_5069.JPG

IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I also own a couple of Microsoft docking stations - one at home, and one at work. The SP3 pops out of the Urban Armor Gear easily, to use either of these docks.

I know this pile of accessory equipment adds up in cost - but the first time I took the SP3 with me overseas, it all became worth it. Plus, being able to set up a docking station in a hotel room is a wonderful convenience.

For me, the SP3 replaces:
- a Dell Precision T7600 monster desktop (number crunching and databasing)
- an iPad (entertainment and email)
- a MacBook Pro Retina
- my worries about the future of Microsoft with a very positive outlook

nipponham

@sharpcolorado

That is a very nice docking station! I just looked it up and they have them for sale in Japan as well, (albeit at an imported price). What's the difference between yours and the one "with power"? Does it just allow in-dock charging?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@sharpcolorado

That is a very nice docking station! I just looked it up and they have them for sale in Japan as well, (albeit at an imported price). What's the difference between yours and the one "with power"? Does it just allow in-dock charging?

Charging is not done through the dock - use the same Microsoft portable charger (brick and cord) you always use. The dock provides multiple monitor support and multiple USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports via a single USB 3.0 connection to your SP3. The dock is extremely lightweight.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
How do u like the zagg screen

Zagg glass protector works wonderfully. I usually forget I even have it on. Pen action is perfect, wonderful clarity, and seems to repel fingerprints (no 'prism' effect from finger oil smudges).

A direct competitor, very similar is the "Phantom Glass". I have one of these still in the package for backup. I've chatted directly with the Phantom Glass folks in Canada. A great product and company.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Dock is compatible with OS X (Mac) and PC (Windows 7 and 8+)

Quoted from here: Targus ACP70USZ Universal Docking Station
USB 3.0 docking station features dual video ports providing beyond HD video and graphics with up to 2048 x 1152 resolution (1x DVI-I, 1x HDMI) and includes 1x DVI to VGA adapter, 1 HDMI to DVI adapter, 2 USB 3.0 ports, 4 USB 2.0 ports, a Gigabit Ethernet port, audio In/Out ports and security lock slot; Also a 6A AC adapter and 2ft USB 3.0 cable making it easy to connect; 2 high-powered USB ports for extra power and stays on when the PC is disconnected

This is a great docking station for the money. If you have Mac computers in your household, it can be used for that, too. I like that my (wireless) USB network drive can stay powered even though no computer is docked.

I've been using this dock for over a year.