What's new

S3 Keyboard and SP2

Compusmurf

The new keyboards look like the SP3 keyboards with the nicer touchpad, but about/very close to the same size as the SP2 keyboards.

Do we have confirmation that the S3 keyboard will work on the SP2? I'm keeping my SP2 but really like the newer keyboard touchpad. Would love to use it with my Pro 2.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
MS has stated that, regardless of size or model, all the keyboards work on any Surface and I have tried them all with no issues. Only once have I heard of any anomalies in swapping a Surface keyboard to a different model and Id chalk that up to an issue with that specific keyboard.

OP
Compusmurf

Compusmurf

That's good to know, I guess I'll purchase at best buy, that way I can local return if there's any discovered issues. :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
what is the difference in the s3 and sp3 keyboards?
In theory nothing except the overall dimensions of the *cover* to match the Surface 3.

however, because the S3 is slightly narrower than the Surface 2 or SP2 (10.52 vs 10.81 for the S2/SP2) and all the other *keyboards* are the same size at 10.28 inch wide that only leaves 1/8 inch on each side for the cover side supports which would be half the margin on the S2/SP2 keyboard covers. Maybe the keyboard is the same size or maybe its 1/8 to 1/4 narrower. I have been trying to find out but not gotten any confirmations yet.

OP
Compusmurf

Compusmurf

No, you didn't, but I did. The difference from S3 to SP3 is size, smaller obviously, but that should be it. The difference from SP2 to the S3/SP3 keyboards is the newer keyboards have a much nicer designed touchpad and I believe it's a bit bigger touchpad as well.

S3 Keyboard dimensions: 268 x 188mm
SP2 keyboard dimensions: 279 x 187mm
and just for comparison
SP3 keyboard dimensions: 295 x 217mm

Looks like the S3 keyboard will fit the SP2 pretty decently minus around 5mm on the left and right side.

Might be a worthwhile upgrade for me because I do NOT like the touchpad on the sp2 keyboards.

OP
Compusmurf

Compusmurf

I know I don't want the S3. It's not beefy enough for my use (VM's, etc).

I could get the i7 Surface Pro 3 but I'm still on the fence with the reports of heating, throttling, network issues, etc.

I will probably wait until the Surface Pro 4 comes out.

That's when I'll make up my mind on my next device. I really like the larger screen of the SP3 vs the SP2 and assume the SP4 when/if released will also keep it. Older I get, the bigger screen I need to see. ha

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The question was between an s3 keyboard and an sp3 keyboard. I didnt ask about the s2.
I did find that once again MS says they have improved the feel of the keyboard for the S3 and the track pad.

abc

thanks for the keyboard size info. if they make a 13 " version of sp4, i might sell my sp3 and move up. anyone know if this is a possibility?