What's new

Why do reviewers insist on including price of keyboard in review?

irogos

I have noticed on nearly every single review, the reviewers mention that they keyboard is necessary and so you have to factor in the $129 cost.

Then they compare to iPad and they say for $499 you can get an iPad, but at a minimum your spending $629 for a Surface 3 with keyboard.

These reviews are all coming off as extremely biased. The iPad can't even stand up on its own without buying a $39 magnetic screen cover, so that should be included in the price. So if we were really comparing device to device, it should be $499 for a 64gb S3 vs $539 for an iPad Air 2 with magnetic cover.

Then if you want to do anything productive at all with the iPad you also need a keyboard, but unfortunately Apple doesn't make the iPad to work well with keyboards so your stuck buying a 3rd party case that will make the iPad thicker and only work over bluetooth causing noticeable lag when typing. A keyboard case for iPad will run about $99. Personally i would rather have the S3 that is designed to work well with a keyboard that Microsoft designed the tablet to be used with. I would happily pay $29 more dollars for that.

So for $599 you could have an iPad Air 2 with clunky keyboard case with a keyboard that has to be charged separately. Or for $629 you could have the S3 with a keyboard the device is designed to work with.

Then consider that Microsoft offers student and military discounts and a large group of buyers of the S3 will only be paying $450 for the S3 or $566 for the S3 with keyboard (both of which are cheaper than an iPad).

Reviewers seem to leave out the discount that you can get with Microsoft but can't get with Apple.

Johnny365

It makes sense, the keyboard being optional is silly since most people will go for it. Almost as bad as not including the Surface Pen on the Surface 3 even though it's a vital piece of accessory extension, costs notwithstanding.

We're at that point where each Surface revision is getting more and more portable/efficient at being a computer replacement for a lot of people. Not including this or that makes it that much harder to justify prices.

OP
I

irogos

It makes sense, the keyboard being optional is silly since most people will go for it. Almost as bad as not including the Surface Pen on the Surface 3 even though it's a vital piece of accessory extension, costs notwithstanding.

We're at that point where each Surface revision is getting more and more portable/efficient at being a computer replacement for a lot of people. Not including this or that makes it that much harder to justify prices.

But if you are comparing the Surface 3 to an iPad, both of which have keyboards on the screen, how can you complain that the Surface 3 keyboard costs extra when you can just use the on screen keyboard?

How can there even be a complain on Surface 3 keyboard when Microsoft at least offers a keyboard to begin with and Apple does not. Why are there not any complaints about Apple designing their iPad without taking into consideration people will want to use keyboards? Or how about the fact that the iPad can't even stand up on its own to watch a movie or tv show without buying an additional $40 magnetic screen cover that folds behind to hold up the device? Have you ever tried propping up an iPad without one of those covers, its darn near impossible.

Johnny365

I know a lot of people with iPads and the majority don't need/want a keyboard attachment for it. That's what I've seen.

tubers

Mixed reception of the mass due to how MS advertises, I guess.

Maybe the Type-Cover should have less screen-time, emphasize more on (cheaper) KB alternatives. and more Pen time.

netuser

IMO, it's because for the SP3 to truly be a laptop replacement, you have to have the typecover.

They should mention that the keyboard is not included in the $499 price, just so that is clear that it is an accessory.
However, they should also include that you can use any third party keyboard. The custom keyboard Microsoft sells is NOT required. This is where they usually fail in their articles.
You can use use it with the on screen keyboard for some uses such as web browsing and using most modern apps and you can use it at a desk with an external monitor, keyboard and mouse.
In a desk-use scenario with external monitor, a full sized Bluetooth keyboard and mouse would actually work better than the Touch Cover.

Johnny365

Right now I use an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard on my SP3. Yes, any ol' BT Keyboard (or USB) will work, but the whole appeal of the Surface line IS the detachable keyboard that they STILL make optional. It's an integral part of the package (same with the Pen) that it all should be included.

IMO of course.

netuser

Right now I use an Apple Bluetooth Keyboard on my SP3. Yes, any ol' BT Keyboard (or USB) will work, but the whole appeal of the Surface line IS the detachable keyboard that they STILL make optional. It's an integral part of the package (same with the Pen) that it all should be included.

IMO of course.

It's fine that it's optional, but Microsoft should make it more clear that it is an accessory. They only mention it in easy to miss fine print in ads and this causes a lot of confusion and false assumptions.
They need to show more examples of it in use as a tablet so people don't think it doesn't work unless you have a keyboard attached.

kwright

I didn't think twice about getting an SP3 and the keyboard together. If someone cross shops this computer (hate to call it a laptop or a tablet or a desktop because I use it with a dock and it is my primary computer) with an iPad then they don't get it. If a reviewer compares it to an iPad then they have missed the boat as well.