What's new

Why do reviewers insist on including price of keyboard in review?

netuser

The difference is, IMO, that the iPad is generally used without a keyboard. The overall number of keyboards sold is tiny compared to the overall number of iPads. The vast majority of people who buy an iPad will never want a keyboard for it.

The Surface, however, is a different story when it is running full Windows with a legacy desktop. People expect to be able to use that desktop, and the reality is that the experience is much better with a keyboard and mouse. Heck, there are even programs out there that you can't interact with without a mouse.

I think that Microsoft is doing the right thing by not including it, but I also think they are shooting themselves in the foot by pretty much only advertising these devices with the keyboard, and pricing that keyboard at a very high level.
They could probably sell a plastic bluetooth, non-backlit keyboard that just snaps on by the magnets and fits the size of the screen, but has no communication through the ports for $29, then also sell the Type Cover for people who are willing to pay more for a nicer keyboard.
Otherwise, maybe third parties will start selling alternative keyboards that fit the Surface for lower prices.

This is a very interesting discussion and I can fully understand why there are two very distinct schools of thought. On the one hand, MS represent the Surface as a "tablet and laptop in one" so under that pitch the keyboard is indeed an essential component of the laptop experience.

On the other hand, it is plain as day that the only reason it's not included is price - there is no way MS could be competitive with iPads and other tablets pitched only as consumption devices - considering how much better the Surfaces are in terms of components you wouldn't expect them to be competitive on price either.

It's a tough spot for sure. If I were MS, rather than charging $120 for a keyboard (which let's face it.. is STEEP) they should package up, say, Office 365 with a Surface Keyboard and pen as a package deal when you buy the Surface.. most would be happy to pay a bit more for the pen and keyboard if Office was thrown into the deal and all three compliment each other.

Arizona Willie

Most of the tech " writers " are Ifruit fanboi's and they get to keep the gear Apple " loans " them if they write good stuff about Apple and bad stuff about Microsoft.

The reviews are almost all blatantly biased and ( in my opinion ) paid for by Apple.

I have noticed on nearly every single review, the reviewers mention that they keyboard is necessary and so you have to factor in the $129 cost.

Then they compare to iPad and they say for $499 you can get an iPad, but at a minimum your spending $629 for a Surface 3 with keyboard.

These reviews are all coming off as extremely biased. The iPad can't even stand up on its own without buying a $39 magnetic screen cover, so that should be included in the price. So if we were really comparing device to device, it should be $499 for a 64gb S3 vs $539 for an iPad Air 2 with magnetic cover.

Then if you want to do anything productive at all with the iPad you also need a keyboard, but unfortunately Apple doesn't make the iPad to work well with keyboards so your stuck buying a 3rd party case that will make the iPad thicker and only work over bluetooth causing noticeable lag when typing. A keyboard case for iPad will run about $99. Personally i would rather have the S3 that is designed to work well with a keyboard that Microsoft designed the tablet to be used with. I would happily pay $29 more dollars for that.

So for $599 you could have an iPad Air 2 with clunky keyboard case with a keyboard that has to be charged separately. Or for $629 you could have the S3 with a keyboard the device is designed to work with.

Then consider that Microsoft offers student and military discounts and a large group of buyers of the S3 will only be paying $450 for the S3 or $566 for the S3 with keyboard (both of which are cheaper than an iPad).

Reviewers seem to leave out the discount that you can get with Microsoft but can't get with Apple.

netuser

This is a very interesting discussion and I can fully understand why there are two very distinct schools of thought. On the one hand, MS represent the Surface as a "tablet and laptop in one" so under that pitch the keyboard is indeed an essential component of the laptop experience.

On the other hand, it is plain as day that the only reason it's not included is price - there is no way MS could be competitive with iPads and other tablets pitched only as consumption devices - considering how much better the Surfaces are in terms of components you wouldn't expect them to be competitive on price either.

It's a tough spot for sure. If I were MS, rather than charging $120 for a keyboard (which let's face it.. is STEEP) they should package up, say, Office 365 with a Surface Keyboard and pen as a package deal when you buy the Surface.. most would be happy to pay a bit more for the pen and keyboard if Office was thrown into the deal and all three compliment each other.

Costco has a package deal already. Maybe others can do the same.

OP
I

irogos

Since you can't plug a USB keyboard or mouse into an iPad, how can you compare apples to apples?

So what your saying is that because Microsoft makes the Surface better by offering more ports, it should be penalized and not compared to the iPad, which has similar components, similar cost, and similar style of use? That makes a lot of sense <rolls eyes>

EMINENT

It's best to only take the important parts of a review, like performance benchmarks and battery life into consideration.

Other than that, most reviewers are looking for click-bait or have no need for a device like this and want to type on their lap.
Their opinion on that matter is irrelevant to my use case and yours too if you are looking for the ultimate in mobility that does more than your typical phone os on a big screen.

Last edited:

jrioux

So what your saying is that because Microsoft makes the Surface better by offering more ports, it should be penalized and not compared to the iPad, which has similar components, similar cost, and similar style of use? That makes a lot of sense <rolls eyes>
LOL, my thought was exactly the opposite. The iPad is so inferior that you really can't compare it to the Surface. BTW, I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an RT! The RT is much better.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One thing to consider with the entire pen and keyboard debate.... Microsoft has bought N-Trig (Patents, Software, Hardware and the entire employee base (engineering, marketing, etc.).

Satya stated in a interview that a Windows Phone with pen support is a compelling use case... so instead of packaging Pens for all future pen enabled devices a consumer can buy one use it on all devices that support it (currently the SP3 and S3).

The Keyboard at $129 is comparable to the leading keyboard cases that offered for the iPad so really it is just saber rattling from the press....

netuser

There are some existing cheaper keyboards that work well.
This one looks nice and allows portrait mode as bonus.

The Surface Type Cover has certain advantages over cheaper keyboards, but it is false to say the Surface 3 is not usable without the Microsoft proprietary $129 keyboard.

I would not be surprised if a few third party Surface 3 specific keyboard cases that would be nicer for travel than the K480 get released later this year.

sdreamer

I think it's because its marketed as a potential laptop replacement, and reviewers are so keen on testing it against that motto. I think they'd have less firepower on that front if Microsoft offered a similar cover that was just simply a cover and sold that for like 30$ or something. That way people who just wanted a tablet, could just go with that, and those who want a laptop replacement can get the type cover. Surprised there hasn't been a third party manufacturer making something like that to take advantage of the magnetic strip.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing to consider with the entire pen and keyboard debate.... Microsoft has bought N-Trig (Patents, Software, Hardware and the entire employee base (engineering, marketing, etc.).

Satya stated in a interview that a Windows Phone with pen support is a compelling use case... so instead of packaging Pens for all future pen enabled devices a consumer can buy one use it on all devices that support it (currently the SP3 and S3).

The Keyboard at $129 is comparable to the leading keyboard cases that offered for the iPad so really it is just saber rattling from the press....

I Already have 2 pens, and just bought the S3. I'm very happy I wasn't forced into paying an extra £50 for another pen.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then there's a cheaper alternative available also. The "Best in Class" Microsoft Universal Mobile keyboard.
http://www.zdnet.com/product/microsoft-universal-mobile-keyboard/
$65 (or less) on Amazon
White/gray/silver. or Black
High praise from a guy who reviews more keyboards than anyone and just about every keyboard out there.

05-microsoft-universal-mobile-keyboard-front.jpg
07-microsoft-universal-mobile-keyboard-side-landscape.jpg
11-microsoft-universal-mobile-keyboard-detached-side-landscape.jpg