What's new

Screen Protector - Yes or No?

CC268

Sorry for all the threads guys, this should be my last one. I used screen protectors on all my devices for years, but I rarely use them now a days. They seem to not be needed with the newer glass technology. I am also hesitant to use one on this screen because I will be taking a lot of notes on it.

Keep in mind I clean my screen(s) (on all my devices) weekly with a very damp soapy rag. My old Alienware laptop is 4 years old and the screen looks like it did on day 1.

Anyways, let me know your thoughts and opinions. Thank you.

LanzHeim

Screen protectors IMO are always mandatory, especially in the case of the SP3. I like to prevent any damage or wear on my devices for two main reasons. (1) I pay a lot for them so they have to last as long as they ey can. (2) If I want to sell any of my gadgets i can demand a better price if they are in mint condition.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Screen protector seems to be a personal preference. The Gorilla glass layer is the screen protector. I say No additional is needed. I don't have concrete dust and grit on my hands when using the device so I don't think there's going to be any damage. If I drop it on its face and or step on it a screen protector wont likely help.

LanzHeim

Screen protector seems to be a personal preference. The Gorilla glass layer is the screen protector. I say No additional is needed. I don't have concrete dust and grit on my hands when using the device so I don't think there's going to be any damage. If I drop it on its face and or step on it a screen protector wont likely help.
Perhaps a tempered glass screen protector might help in that case. I'll install one ASA I get my SP3

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps a tempered glass screen protector might help in that case. I'll install one ASA I get my SP3
I don't know what that will do... maybe a fitted case would be better for drop protection. I saw someone post they ordered one of those glass protectors but it was broken when they got it so it had to be replaced. it has to add weight as well.

I have an iPad2 and an original Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 which are a couple three years old and I can't see any wear or anything on those screens and I don't even have a cover for the Samsung.

raqball

I don't use a screen protector and my SP3 is scratch free. Treat it well and you won't have any issues..

OP
C

CC268

Yea I really feel like the protector is not needed...but if it is I will be more than willing to get a nice one

Gary.M

My personal preference is to not use screen protectors on any device, be it phone or tablet. I haven't since probably my first smart phone, the iphone 3gs. Never have scratched any screen of mine, yet my girlfriend who uses screen protectors has damaged 2 phones - go figure

Liam2349

Go for tempered glass - I ordered one which appeared to have been improperly packaged or damaged in transit, through an Amazon seller, but they refunded me without requesting a return so I can't really complain.

It was also sent from China, and I had paid a premium with the belief it was German manufactured.

I've ordered another from an eBay seller, from China, and I'm waiting for it.

I would just pay up for the ZAGG Glass, but it's not available in England so far as I can tell. All I can find are plastic screen protectors over here, which are no good for pen use. Tempered glass works 100% as usual with the pen, I use one with my Note 3.

qwertyy

I thought about this as well and here is my conclusion. From what I've seen, decent screen protectors (ex. the one that Microsoft is selling) cost like $70 including tax. I think it is so much better to buy the Microsoft complete warranty for like $150 and go without the screen protector.
If you get scratches on your screen, although it is unlikely as others have mentioned, just get a replacement for that device.
If you can find a decent screen protector for $20ish, then I think it's a good idea to get it for psychological satisfaction.

Honestly though, I couldn't find a decent screen protector at a cheaper cost - they have problems like causing too much friction upon contact with the pen. That being said, I'd really appreciate it if someone could recommend me one that works fine with the pen and is not $70.