What's new

Some apps not working on new build

rege0039

I ended up doing a clean install of 1041 (for various reasons).

Now the music,weather apps and MSN News won't start, ask me to go to the store. When I do the store just gives me the spinning circle. I have tried to uninstall them from the app list but the uninstall option is greyed out.

Anyone else had this ?

Is there a way to either get them to work or uninstall and then reinstall ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Try this....

To get these apps working again, you’ll need to follow these steps:

1. Open Powershell as administrator:
    Right-click the Start button.
    Select Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.
    When the Command Prompt window opens, type powershell and then press Enter.
    The window will stay the same, but the prompt will begin with “PS”.

2. To remove the non-working Mail, Calendar, and People apps, paste the following command into the Command Prompt and then press Enter: Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –onlineWait until you receive the response confirming the operation has been completed.
  3. Restart Windows.

4. When Windows restarts, click the Start Button and look in the All Apps section for the green tile with the title Store, and launch it.
    Do not use the grey tile with the title Store (Beta) for this.

5. If you do not sign in to Windows with a Microsoft Account, you may need to sign in to the Store with one at this point. If you do not have a Microsoft Account, you will need to create one.

6. In the Store, search for Mail. You should find a result for Mail, Calendar, and People. Select that search result and install the app. This will take a few minutes – wait for the confirmation message saying the app is installed. You may be prompted to add a payment method. This is not required, and you can dismiss the pop-up prompt if you want.

7. The Mail, Calendar, and People apps should now be installed and visible in your Start menu with their tiles pinned.

OP
R

rege0039

Will this work with the apps that aren't working though ? It was Music and Weather that I was trying with no success. I hadn't tried the Mail, Calendar and People - but I will now !

Thanks.

Will report back what happens.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Will this work with the apps that aren't working though ? It was Music and Weather that I was trying with no success. I hadn't tried the Mail, Calendar and People - but I will now !

Thanks.

Will report back what happens.
This should fix all of them, just follow the steps 6 for each App...

OP
R

rege0039

I wasn't aware that the Mail, People and Calendar wasn't working.

They are now.

But the Music App and the Store (Beta) still refuse to work. Weather now works.

Should I try it again ? I don't think the command you gave removed the Music app as well, just the Mail one.

Anything else I can try ?

Very much appreciate your help !

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Try this command

Run the following command, restart the computer and check the issue status.

1.Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.

2.Run the following command.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

1.Enter exit and press Enter after running the command successfully.

OP
R

rege0039

It says Get-AppXPackage is not a recognised as an internal or external command.

I tried different combination of no hyphen, no space etc - none worked.

Happy to try others !

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry....I didn't mean CMD Prompt I was on my phone, it should be PowerShell elevated the same as above

OP
R

rege0039

I woke up this morning thinking 'Idiot (me NOT you !) it must be a Powershell command !' and came here to get the command to run in PS - then saw your response.

I am very grateful for your help and willingness to update your response.

The command did some things that were yellow and seemed to work and then some brought up a lot of red text, which seemed to revolve around that the package could not be installed as its resources were in use, or a higher version was available.

Just rebooted and still the same. Music and Store (Beta) don't start. Music gives an error message 'This App can't open. Go to the Windows store for more information'. Store (Beta) gets nothing, no splash screen or anything.

Should I just do another clean install ? Or will the problem just happen again (although that would mean others would be getting it, surely ?).

My old build of 1041 didn't have this but that had come from updates to earlier builds. This one is straight from the ISO.

Many thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You can try a reset....I know that Microsoft is also working on the backend and the Licensing Server is one of the causes of the issue...

OP
R

rege0039

A reset or a refresh ?

I guess if it will just sort it self out in later builds I may just leave it and see what happens.

I had just got used to streaming from my OneDrive so wanted to do it on Win10.

Thanks for your help.