What's new

SP2 or Lenovo Yoga 2

CrippsCorner

Regarding the browsing with the Surface, I find it fine. I've laid in my bed for an hour with Skype snapped to 25% of the screen and IE on 75% and didn't experience any bother. I have crap eyes too! Most of the time my Surface is docked to a bigger screen anyway...

D

Deleted member 10837

As a student, the Surface Pro is more appealing to me then ultrabook convertibles. The size is optimally portable and a big improvement over 7-8 inch tablets I was using before. I have medium sized hands so typing on the keyboard cover is not a big problem for me. I still want to be able to free hold it in one hand while using the stylus which I don't think I can manage if it was any bigger or heavier then 2 pounds. What case do you have? All the Surface cases I've seen look terrible to me.

souldier

One thing to consider when you are a student is what kind of desks does your classrooms have? Will you end up just typing with the device in your lap? Is the desk/chair an ideal height for the angles that the Surface Pro offers and is the desk perfectly flat or not? The challenge with the Surface is that you'll find yourself in a few situations where it's not so ideal to use and type on

polbit

Comparing the Yoga 2 Pro (Best buy prices) with SP2?
P.S., The colors issue on the Yoga 2 Pro have been solved with as simple power plan adjustment.

Choosing Performance profile which effects battery life is not really a long-term fix now, is it? :)

You also forgot to mention the battery life as it looks like SP2 has Yoga 2 Pro beat there.

eltos_lightfoot

I guess I love the form factor and pretty much everything about my SP2. I am sold. Now I can travel with just my Surface Pro 2 and my Kindle. Nice. But I also love how small it is, so yeah I agree with the comment above. Do you want a big heavy tablet, or a tiny laptop? I would rather have a tiny laptop and great tablet running full windows.

MoggSquad

I have to agree that I don't find that fix as an acceptable long term solution. Like I previously posted, I've been wary of the Y2P. It sounds like they should have taken some extra time to perfect things before release. I am pleased with the SP2.

Choosing Performance profile which effects battery life is not really a long-term fix now, is it? :)

You also forgot to mention the battery life as it looks like SP2 has Yoga 2 Pro beat there.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of things to point out here on the Yoga part of the discussion, 2 different products are being proposed which could lead to much confusion.

There is Mitch recommending the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Pro which is their "Prosumer"/SMB Model, it is the 13.3" qHD Display, only multitouch no Active Stylus

Then there is the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga which is their Professional/Enterprise Model, it is a 12.5" HD with Wacom Digitizer/Multitouch.

Renigami

Does the default stylus have a built in eraser and two (one is bare minimum for me) side barrel button?

If not, this defeats the purpose of a built in silo for the pen, as I would use a more functioning pen for a Wacom digitizer.

Renigami

^This. It's impossible to say if the screen is "big enough" because that's a highly personal assessment. I know people who are quite happy to surf the web on a phone screen, which I think is nuts, but whatever.

Also do play with the settings as well. Try to use the "default" and "smaller" setting in "PC Settings>PC and Devices>Display" for Modern/Metro visual feel. "Control Panel>Apperances and Personalization>Display" for the Desktop scaling. This will additionally let you know if the screen and contents are comfortable enough for your eyes.