What's new

SP3 for the lefties (left handed)

stonerwinst

I have a refurbed SP1 that I bought out of curiosity. It's decent. The keyboard is passable. The touch pad is horrible. The one position kickstand has promise as demonstrated by the third revision. The Wacom pen system is good. I am a casual user of the pen, and it works well enough.

I was at the MS store to check out the SP3. I am aware of all of the existing issues. As a lefty, I gave the N-trig a try with the Metro OneNote and I encountered problems. My palm kept triggering the page selection on the left hand side. Also the pen cursor was jumpy. As I was writing, the cursor would occasionally jump creating lines out to the point it jumped. I didn't have the jump issue with the Wacom.

The above issue could be a killer for me. The pen is a major selling and disguising feature for this device. I preordered the i7 version and I am worried about heat issues as well.

To the lefties that have the SP3, how is your pen experience?

Last edited:

Rugbyguy541

Youll be better off as a lefty on the sp3. All the heat is on the right side, the windows button that is occasionally activated while writing is on the right hand side.

ckozma

I am a lefty with a SP3, and I usually have no problems when using the pen to take notes. I have been doing it every day for about two weeks now. Occasionally my palm will trigger the page selection but I have never really noticed the cursor being jumpy. Overall it is a really good experience.

kundas1

don't forget too that these are demos and everybody touches these devices so probably it was a DIRTY SCREEN fault and not because of left hand handling....

OP
S

stonerwinst

The store representative thought it was interest when I showed him. He said he had not seen the problem before. He was also not aware of a lefty mode.

I'm surprised that this is not discussed more. I know we lefties are a minority but there must be a fair number of lefties using the SP.

I am a lefty and the SP3 is excellent for us. The jumpiness is due to dirt or grime build up on the screen causing it to think it's your finger. The reason the page button in onenote is triggered is because the n-trig pen has a lower level from the distance of the pen to the screen compared to wacom. If your pen is detected by the screen first (the distance is closer than the wacom pen in comparison), then you'll find that your palm will never trigger the page option. It took me 2 weeks to get used to the new pen, but once you are used to it, it is a bit better than wacom's.

chrsb

For the triggering the page selection, under options-display-navigation bar displays on left unchecked, page tabs appear on left unchecked, vertical scroll bar appears on left unchecked. This way you don't accidentally trigger something.

OP
S

stonerwinst

Thanks for the input about N-trig needing to be closer to the screen to activate compared to the Wacom. That explains why my palm seems to be more sensitive than the Wacom.

I guess I will need to wait until I receive the i7 to get used to the new pen system.

I do like the softer feel of the n-trig tip over the Wacom.

eltos_lightfoot

I am left-handed and ink without difficulty on the SP3. I can see where right-handed people would actually have more difficulty with the windows button.