What's new

Surface Design - Left Handed

OP
bosamar

bosamar

Talked to an associate in San Diego today. He said the weather there was downright vicious -- but maybe he was exaggerating since he knew I used to live there.
I live an hour north of San Diego, near Riverside, and it gets very hot here in the summer. It's always about 20-30 degrees hotter than San Diego. I wish I lived there instead.

Russ

I live an hour north of San Diego, near Riverside
Bosamar --

My mistake. Somehow I acquired the notion that you live in San Diego; that's why I said what I did. My late Wife and I lived there for about fifteen years before moving to Georgia. Still have kids and grandkids there, but no desire to go back -- notwithstanding the fact that it is the most beautiful place we ever lived. California is too business-hostile for my taste, which is why we left when we did (and it is even worse now).

Yeah, I know the Riverside area. It do get a little warm there in the summer. It sorta lacks that cool, ocean breeze to take the edge off.

Take care,
Russ

OP
bosamar

bosamar

I found this left-handed setting buried in Control Panel. Not quite sure what it actually does.

Screenshot (35).png

pwaggs

I just want to know what is to be done for the people with no hands? Who is thinking of them when it comes to touch devices?

JP ;)
Actually, there is a lot of research and quite a bit of money being invested in enabling the front facing camera or another set of cameras to Eye track eliminating the 'touch' interface. The DOD has used this sort of tech for years and there are slowly becoming more mainstream demand and applications for it. It is very conceivable though that a next Gen Surface will Eye track for many functions rather than relying on the traditional or touchscreen keyboard.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Actually, there is a lot of research and quite a bit of money being invested in enabling the front facing camera or another set of cameras to Eye track eliminating the 'touch' interface. The DOD has used this sort of tech for years and there are slowly becoming more mainstream demand and applications for it. It is very conceivable though that a next Gen Surface will Eye track for many functions rather than relying on the traditional or touchscreen keyboard.

Woosh! That is the sound of my post flying over your head ;) I have also heard that maybe there is some sort of voice support in the works too. It sounds like MS is maybe trying to copy Siri for Windows :wink:

icwhatudidthere

It would actually be really nice to have a voice assistant like Siri integrated into my Surface Pro. I can imagine having a button on the keyboard activate it or an equivalent Charm icon. Then you can just hold the button down and ask simple questions like "what time is it in Paris" or "remind me to call X in an hour" all while you're working and the thought comes into your head.

That could actually be a real killer feature IMHO and much easier than doing a context and device switch.

pwaggs

Woosh! That is the sound of my post flying over your head ;) I have also heard that maybe there is some sort of voice support in the works too. It sounds like MS is maybe trying to copy Siri for Windows :wink:
Well, if you wanted 'old' tech then you would settle for Siri. If you want to advance the envelope, you need to look beyond voice control which is nowhere near as fast as eyeball control. So sorry if I missed your point, sounds like you want to jump on that tired old IPhone/Pad bandwagon. MS is finally looking bigger and better. Voice control will be part of a feature suite, however, not the Vanguard.

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Well, if you wanted 'old' tech then you would settle for Siri. If you want to advance the envelope, you need to look beyond voice control which is nowhere near as fast as eyeball control. So sorry if I missed your point, sounds like you want to jump on that tired old IPhone/Pad bandwagon. MS is finally looking bigger and better. Voice control will be part of a feature suite, however, not the Vanguard.

Yep still missing the point. Apparently I can't make it clear that it was a joke no matter how many smilies or hints I include. The remarks were completely impractical and in total jest because the whole point of the thread was questioned. There will always be somebody who isn't physically suited to a particular device or input method. Missing arms, using feet, noses, eyes, or voice in relation to making a tablet just for left handedness were extreme example of extending the line of thinking down the slippery slope. Siri has nothing to do with anything except being a proxy for voice control (which MS already has by the way and has for years, as well as available third party desktop programs, like Dragon, for the Pro).

Maybe cartoons are better?

leftorium_400.jpg

Last edited:

tropolite

I'm left handed and I wouldn't mind at all seeing the ability to have the Charms on the left of the screen etc. We had that 'type' of ability in previous Windows iterations that we could position the taskbar to the bottom, left, right, or even top of the screen.

It shouldn't be that difficult to mirror over the Charms and gestures of the left side of the screen to the right. I can deal with it, but it would be nice to have the option.

PS Flanders Rules!