What's new

SP3 + IE11 + Low resolution external monitor = scaling disaster

SteveMac

Hi All,

Hoping that you can help me with a rather frustrating issue I'm seeing with my Surface Pro 3.

When I use IE11 on my 1920x1200 external monitor, the window elements/menu bars/etc "scale up" to a massive size, looking stupid.

When I use either Firefox or Chrome, they don't.

Screen shot attached might explain better.

To fix this for other apps I just modify the "Disable display scaling on high D PI settings" check box on the Compatibility tab in the file properties. Trouble is Internet Explorer has no such settings.

** The only reason that I really want to use IE11 is the lack of smooth scrolling available in either Firefox or Chrome **

Any ideas?

ie_scale_issue.PNG

OP
S

SteveMac

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to stop IE11 from appearing comically large on my external 1920x1200 monitor?

Thanks!

OP
S

SteveMac

I've tried all settings, including full reboots in-between, yet when I move IE onto the lower resolution monitor, it is massive.

Test 1 - Selected "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" with 150% scaling = IE size issue

Test 2 - Un-selected "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays" with 150% scaling = IE size issue

Test 3 - Try various scaling sizes, still same issue