What's new

SP3 Pro Product Key Needed for fresh install?

TravFlex

New Member
Joined
Nov 10, 2014
Messages
13
Points
1
Considering the option to do a fresh install of Win10 on my SP3 Pro. Downloaded the media onto a USB Stick.

However reading up on this it seems I may need the Win 8.1 product key (i.e. serial) for my current install. No sticker on the SP3.

Do I need this and where do I find it?

Somebody also mentioned a driver pack to download and install before allowing Win10 to get online. Any link to that?

I am using System Image Backup in Window 8.1 which I believe creates a true snapshot. Does this work and allow me to revert back to 8.1 keeping all my files/setting the way they were when the image was created? I found my bitlocker key and printed it...since apparently that is needed.
 
That key wont help you any more than it will start your car.

The official method:
Upgrade First and make sure it activates.
Thereafter you can do a clean install and it will automatically reactivate. "Skip" the Key Prompt during the clean install.
 
Microsoft quietly rewrites its activation rules for Windows 10 | ZDNet

run the windows 10 setup from within windows 8.1 (don't boot from installation media) and the installer will verify you're authentic and the activation server will issue you a new windows 10 key; from windows 10 setup, under choose what to keep select nothing. you will have a clean activated installation of windows 10.
 
The get windwos 10 isnt showing up due to some domain related thing it appears. Can i install from the media instead or will i run into key problems that way?
 
The get windwos 10 isnt showing up due to some domain related thing it appears. Can i install from the media instead or will i run into key problems that way?
Post #2 answered the question. You can upgrade even if if don't have the notification but make an image backup first just in case.
 
Back
Top