What's new

Solved SP3 won't print on network printer?

leeshor

Here are some instructions that have worked for me from the LogMeIn site.

Some simple istructions from the LogMeIn site I have used that work.
How to Wake a Computer in Sleep Mode or Powered Off Using Wake On LAN

When all requirements are met, you will be able to use Wake On LAN to switch on a computer that is in sleep mode (PC and Mac) or powered off (PC).

Review this checklist to ensure that you will be able to use the Wake On LAN feature.

• Is there at least one other computer on the same network that is both powered on and running LogMeIn?
  • Is Wake On LAN enabled on the host?
    • From the host, open the LogMeIn Control Panel and follow this path: Options > Preferences > Advanced Settings. Under Wake On LAN, make sure that Enable 'Wake On LAN' from sleep and power off is selected.
  • Do you want to wake a PC that is powered off?
    • For a Windows host that is powered off (but still plugged in), confirm that Wake On LAN is enabled in the computer's BIOS.
      Tip: Consult the user guide of your computer or motherboard to locate the appropriate BIOS switch, usually Wake On LAN from S5.
  • Do you want to wake a Mac?
    • Enable the following setting: System preferences > Energy saver > Options tab > Wake for Ethernet network administrator access.
    • Confirm that the computer is on a wired network. Wake On LAN is not supported for Mac hosts on a wireless network.
    • Confirm that the Mac is in sleep mode and not powered off. You cannot wake a Mac that is powered off.
  • Is the host in a supported sleep mode?
    • Stand-by, sleep, or hibernation (ACPI specification S3 or S4).

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well it seems like the device will wake with a "magic packet" but there is no specific wording as "Wake On LAN". Gotta figure out this magic packet business.

Ok, made some changes in the BIOS power management and trying to send a print job seems to wake the computer but gives me an error message for the print job. The desktop only wakes to the logon screen and can't send a print job then either.

So I need to not only wake but wake logged on.

Can I get the desktop to wake already logged in?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it seems like the device will wake with a "magic packet" but there is no specific wording as "Wake On LAN". Gotta figure out this magic packet business.

Ok, made some changes in the BIOS power management and trying to send a print job seems to wake the computer but gives me an error message for the print job. The desktop only wakes to the logon screen and can't send a print job then either.

So I need to not only wake but wake logged on.

Edit: Woah, my quote picked up more detail than was there...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aquilawol/

http://www.solarwinds.com/products/freetools/wake_on_lan.aspx

not sure if the login was addressed in this.. theres always autologin.

mohcho

Make your life easier, next time you have to get a new printer, get a networked printer and that will solve all your issues. I have my Brother printer on the network and I don't have to worry about my machine being on to print from any device.

The magic packet is the code that is sent over the network to initiate the wake on lan to the machine. Your printer may not accept the print job if it does not receive a proper Windows print job code if it is not logged on.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Right, will probably just go buy a networked printer to make life easier. I just like my old Laserjet workhorse. We've been through a lot together.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right, will probably just go buy a networked printer to make life easier. I just like my old Laserjet workhorse. We've been through a lot together.
No power saving there... those things use enough power to pay for a new printer every year :)

raqball

Make your life easier, next time you have to get a new printer, get a networked printer and that will solve all your issues.

A little off topic but I went to buy ink for my printer last month and for black and color it was going to be almost $70.

They had a network HP three in one printer on sale for $50.

I bought the new printer..

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, the Wake On LAN app seems to work to get the desktop to wake (yay!) but can't seem to get autologon to work.

mohcho

Laser printers are always going to be more costly when replacing toner vs inkjets, but cost per page, inkjet technology is still more costly.

mitchellvii, if you can still find one, you can get an HP Jetdirect device to put your workhorse laserjet on the network. Those things never die, but yes, they are power hogs.