What's new

SP4 applications remembering external monitor preference

convergent

I've been using my new SP4 for a few days. I have it docked in the Microsoft Dock when on my desk and leave it at a 10 degree angle as a tablet for OneNote... everything else I want opening in the external 4K display. It seems to remember that once I've opened everything once. When I undock and then redock, I have to go through that all again. When I've done this the windows were all opened when I left and came back. Is there any way (possibly with add-on software if not built into Windows 10) to get it to remember my preferences for which monitor, and how big, to open new windows? or possibly have I just not run it long enough for it to learn.

Basically when I'm docked, I want all new windows to default to the external display.

Last edited:
OP
convergent

convergent

OK, I think I may have figured out what was wrong. There are settings in two areas that control all of this... >System>Display and >Personalization>Taskbar. When I set this up and fiddled with it a few times I missed the checkbox at the very bottom of the Display settings "Make this my main display". Now that I've set that, it seems to be behaving more like I expected. And now I've turned off the task bar on the main SP4 display and getting the behavior I was after. Still things opening a few times on the wrong display but I think that will work itself out. Will now need to see what happens when I undock... hopefully it remembers when I come back to the dock.