What's new

SP4 Benchmarks

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having just run crystalmark myself, that is looking like roughly a 50% Read performance increase and a 35% increase in write. Take into account my drive is probably fragmented and this and that compared to a demo unit with nothing on it.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having just run crystalmark myself, that is looking like roughly a 50% Read performance increase and a 35% increase in write. Take into account my drive is probably fragmented and this and that compared to a demo unit with nothing on it.
Fragmentation on an SSD is inconsequential since we don't have to wait for it to spin. :)

So roughly a 30% increase 3DMark/PCMark from i5SP3 to i5SP4, in line with what MSFT said at the event.

2 questions:
- We need to see the i7 benchmarks as MSFT was claiming 80% increase i7 to i7 at the release event.
- Is anyone able to get this i5 or i7 to throttle after repeated runs...

Im curious if core m will be weak ( considering the complaints for MacBook-Lenovo yoga owners) and if the I-5 can sustain speed without throttling. The storage speed bump up will be nice though for sure.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Im curious if core m will be weak ( considering the complaints for MacBook-Lenovo yoga owners) and if the I-5 can sustain speed without throttling. The storage speed bump up will be nice though for sure.
I'm thinking this will be more of a case of Core-M done right ... but we shall see.

I was at a Best Buy and they had one SP4, an i5 model. They had a spot marked off for a Surface Book but didn't have one yet.

Getting a full set of devices under test right now might be a challenge.

jrioux

Here are early Geekbench results for the i5.
surface pro 4 windows - Geekbench Search - Geekbench Browser.jpg

jrioux

I found it interesting that the Geekbench scores for the i5 SP4 are higher than those for the i7 SP3.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I found it interesting that the Geekbench scores for the i5 SP4 are higher than those for the i7 SP3.
I ran my SP3 i7 on 3Dmark last week. The mark for the SP4 i5 is 50% better than mine for skydiver I got combine score for Skydiver 1.0 of 2642. with the main advantage to the SP4 being the physics score of the new graphics processor.

I don't game on it so I'm not that bothered, but it does show a substantial increase in performance.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on anandtech the sp4 looks to have cracking g performance and with very little throttling! Great news.

Although very interesting that they opted to benchmark again at the iPhone and the iPad but not one comparison against Air performance.