What's new

SP4 Benchmarks

looks like you will get your money's worth out of the I-5 sp4, A tiny bit of throttling is expected I guess if working for long periods of time pushing the cpu. This is why I got rid of the sp3 I-5 in favor of the I-3, the throttling brought the I-5 down to I-3 levels of performance under heavy loads. The sp4 looks to be a good upgrade

Chasim

Has anyone seen benchmarks posted for the SP4 with an i7 (Iris graphics)? I actually have a Surface Book on order, but the SP4 vs. Surface Book is a close call for me for various reasons. However, the discrete GPU in the Surface Book (with i5/8GB/128GB) is giving it a slight edge (for me). The benchmarks I have seen show the discrete GPU way ahead of the integrated graphics on the Surface Book and the i5 SP4. But if the i7 SP4 is close, I might opt for it instead.

Thanks.

P.S. My interest in the GPUs is mainly for some gaming.

Johnny365

I like Anandtech's reviews, but don't like that they include random tablets that aren't in the same class (or operating system). Here's looking at you, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2.

MOFO

Has anyone seen benchmarks posted for the SP4 with an i7 (Iris graphics)? I actually have a Surface Book on order, but the SP4 vs. Surface Book is a close call for me for various reasons. However, the discrete GPU in the Surface Book (with i5/8GB/128GB) is giving it a slight edge (for me). The benchmarks I have seen show the discrete GPU way ahead of the integrated graphics on the Surface Book and the i5 SP4. But if the i7 SP4 is close, I might opt for it instead.

Thanks.

P.S. My interest in the GPUs is mainly for some gaming.
My thoughts exactly was leaning torward the Book but waiting to see how the IRIS stacks up against discrete graphics.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I guess some people didn't click thru and look at the whole review and thought comparison to Tablets was unfair to the tablets (although some claim better performance than PCs) so for convenience I'll pull a couple slides with the notebook comparisons like the Lenovo X1 a premium business laptop, Dell XPS13, and other Surface models Sp3 and S3 Atom..

3DMark
78077.png

78079.png

78078.png

GFXBench
78085.png

78086.png

78087.png

78088.png

There are lots of benchmarks... look at ALL of them. One benchmark by itself doesn't mean a lot. Sometimes you see something like in the ARStechnica results where there's a clear anomaly... it happens... Across a broad spectrum and different reviewers running the same and different benchmarks a body of evidence begins to form.

That body of evidence looks pretty good so far.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Strange that they opt to bench it against the i3 sp3. Makes for a pretty meaningless comparison. Yet they highlight the sp3 as if it is what they are genuinely comparing against.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Strange that they opt to bench it against the i3 sp3. Makes for a pretty meaningless comparison. Yet they highlight the sp3 as if it is what they are genuinely comparing against.
Only the ones marked as i3. Some have both listed.

I do agree that sometimes it's maddening why they choose what they choose and switch the line up in the middle of a review. Sometimes I lookup other computers reviews to get a more through comparison than they show.
In the end Anandtech still does one of the best jobs with this and generally they don't post bogus test results like some others. If there's an anomaly they run it down and either find the issue or let you know it was a problem.

When reading marketing material you have to pay close attention to what they tell you and even more attention to what they don't tell you. With benchmarks you have to pay very close attention to detail, as always the devil is in the details.