What's new

How to prevent a closed type cover putting SP3 to sleep when docked?

Dude

Against the advice of literally all of my colleagues I got an SP3 at work to use full time as a desktop replacement. I have the type cover and the official docking station.

I am using a 1440p monitor connected via DP. (The resolution fiasco is a topic for another thread.)

What I want to achieve is to *not* have the SP3 go into InstantGo (sleep) mode when it's docked with the type cover closed. I don't want to keep the type cover open when the SP3 is docked. Getting the SP3 into the dock is annoying enough as is, with an open type cover it's just infuriating. I also don't want to take the type cover off just to dock the SP3.

I did change the power settings (what to do when I close the lid) but that had no effect. The type cover apparently isn't perceived as a lid.

All I want to do is have it duplicate normal laptop behavior. Drop the laptop into the dock, push the power button on the dock, laptop comes on even though it's closed. Same with the SP3, dock it, push the power button (on the SP3), and it just starts working.

Is that an unreasonable request?

Kif

You're not going to like this answer but I would recommend not docking it with the cover closed. I find my SP3 runs much warmer with the cover on while docked. I don't find it difficult to use the dock. Not any more difficult than any HP, Dell, or Lenovo dock.

surfdock

Dude, welcome to the forums. While I can't help you with the sleep on lid-close behavior, I can address your concern with the DPI settings. Please check my dpi post for instructions on getting it to work nicely with your 1440P monitor (presumably it is a 27" model with ~109dpi?)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danchar/arc...on-with-surface-pro-3-dpi-scaling-tweaks.aspx

Feel free to comment there or in the other thread if you have any questions.

BTW your docking scenario request is quite reasonable so I'll see if I can file a ticket at MS for this directly. FYI, if the SP3 is in your backpack, you don't want the odd power button press to turn it on, so most likely that is why it has the current behavior. But if it is docked why not allow it to be on and stay on or why not allow the user to choose the behavior?

B

B'midbar

Against the advice of literally all of my colleagues I got an SP3 at work to use full time as a desktop replacement. I have the type cover and the official docking station.

I am using a 1440p monitor connected via DP. (The resolution fiasco is a topic for another thread.)

What I want to achieve is to *not* have the SP3 go into InstantGo (sleep) mode when it's docked with the type cover closed. I don't want to keep the type cover open when the SP3 is docked. Getting the SP3 into the dock is annoying enough as is, with an open type cover it's just infuriating. I also don't want to take the type cover off just to dock the SP3.

I did change the power settings (what to do when I close the lid) but that had no effect. The type cover apparently isn't perceived as a lid.

All I want to do is have it duplicate normal laptop behavior. Drop the laptop into the dock, push the power button on the dock, laptop comes on even though it's closed. Same with the SP3, dock it, push the power button (on the SP3), and it just starts working.

Is that an unreasonable request?

The resolution fiasco isn't all that hard.

wditters

The solution you already mentioned in fact should work and in my case it really does. I created a new power plan based on the standard one, named it "Office" and the only thing I then did is change:

change plan settings -> change advanced power settings -> power buttons and lid -> lid close action -> plugged in -> do nothing ...