What's new

Special keys on type cover?

mmo

I am seeking a collection on how one can to generate the typical special keys on the SP3 plus type cover:

Since some apps are using these I would like to know how to generate:
Insert:
Scroll-Lock:
Num-Lock:

So far I found:
Print screen: Fn + Space or Windows-Button (the one on the screen) + Volume Down
Print active window: Fn + Alt + Spacew

Special features:
Reset: Power key + Volume Up (for >10 seconds)

And a special bonus would be if someone could tell me, if and how one can disable the caps key. I constantly keep hitting this damned key by accident and that is ANNOYING! I already considered breaking it off , but there MUST be a more elegant way without physically damaging anything, isn't it?

Last edited:

BobG

Fn + Caps lock toggles the function row functionality. And it sticks between restarts.
Fn + Delete = Increase Brightness
Fn + Backspace = Decrease Brightness

Those three are my favorites. You might be able to find a non-surface specific way to disable the caps lock with a registry hack or the like.

Bob

ScottyS

Here's an article that explains Keyboard Remapping: CAPSLOCK to Ctrl and Beyond, but a word of caution...
I tried remapping Cap lock to be an End key on my SP1 and it didn't work, it did disable my End key and even though I exported the registry key before I made any change, merging the original key back in didn't fix it. I remained without a working End key until I reset the SP1 to factory condition to give it to a relative when I bought my SP3. Like they say, playing with the registry is not for the faint of heart.

agt499

I am seeking a collection on how one can to generate the typical special keys on the SP3 plus type cover:

Since some apps are using these I would like to know how to generate:
Insert:
Scroll-Lock:
Num-Lock:

So far I found:
Print screen: Fn + Space or Windows-Button (the one on the screen) + Volume Down
Print active window: Fn + Alt + Spacew

Special features:
Reset: Power key + Volume Up (for >10 seconds)

And a special bonus would be if someone could tell me, if and how one can disable the caps key. I constantly keep hitting this damned key by accident and that is ANNOYING! I already considered breaking it off , but there MUST be a more elegant way without physically damaging anything, isn't it?
I have found AutoHotkey (http://autohotkey.com/)does the trick fine.
The good thing is no registry messing, and there is a reasonable community that you can search for most mappings.
FYI the mappings I have it doing are at bottom -note that the lines starting with ; are comments. I use Win+Del for Insert and Alt+Shift for Menu/Shortcut, plus Shift+RightMouse for middle click!.
You should be able to do almost anything through search and experimentation - it's very forgiving.

Re. Capslock - dead easy (from http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/misc/Remap.htm):
Capslock::Ctrl Makes Capslock become a Control key. To retain the ability to turn Capslock on and off, also add the remapping +Capslock::Capslock (this toggles Capslock on and off when you hold down the shift key and press Capslock).

Code:
    ;==============================================================================
    ;   KEYBOARD EXTRAS     -SURFACE TYPE COVER
    ;Make Win+Del       =Insert
    #Delete::Insert
    ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;Make Win+Backspace     =Pause/Break
    #Backspace::CtrlBreak
    ;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;Make Shift+Right Alt   =Apps/Shortcut key (the key that opens the context menu)
    +RAlt::AppsKey
    ;   KEYBOARD EXTRAS     -MS SCULPT COMFORT
    ; Dammit - no Pause/Break
    ; Make Calculator     =Pause/Break  (for Win+Break, CTRL+Break)
    #SC121::#Pause
    ^SC121::^CtrlBreak
    ; Make Win+Insert     =PrintScreen
    #Insert::PrintScreen
    !#Insert::!PrintScreen
    ;   MOUSE TWEAKS     -TWO BUTTON MOUSE
    ;(R)Shift+Right Mouse   =Middle click with drag
         ; Unused option to tweak by application
         ;; FIREFOX/THUNDERBIRD - ignore drag and paste
         ;   #IfWinActive ahk_class MozillaWindowClass
         ;     +RButton::mouseclick, middle
         ;; ALL OTHERS - SUPPORT MIDDLE CLICK DRAG
         ;   #IfWinActive
             +RButton::
               Send {Click D M}
               While GetKeyState("RShift","P")
                 Sleep 10
               Send {Click U M}
               Return

agt499

Fn + Caps lock toggles the function row functionality. And it sticks between restarts.
Fn + Delete = Increase Brightness
Fn + Backspace = Decrease Brightness

Those three are my favorites. You might be able to find a non-surface specific way to disable the caps lock with a registry hack or the like.

Bob
Good point Bob - I would further add that once toggled to bring the Function row back, you are able to use
  • FN+LeftArrow=Home
  • FN+RightArrow=End
  • FN+UpArrow=PgUp
  • FN+DownArrow=PgDn
-not publicized but easy to get used to!