What's new

SSD Tips?

JC8865

This is the first device I have had that has an SSD so Im looking for some tips on keeping it in top shape. I do know your not supposed to defrag it but what about using CCleaner for cleaning up old files? Anyway any tips and or things to avoid would be great.

Thanks!

JC

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Isn't it nice to know you do not have a motor spinning up a disc any longer ;).

Windows 10 will keep your SSD in great shape automatically. I have been a fan of CCleaner for years. But now, the management of browser cookies and files is handled within the Edge Browser, and temporary or unneeded system files are handled very well by Windows 10 (Search Cortana for 'disk cleanup').

cricket1001

Did you ever have a Surface Pro? My Surface Pro 3 just died and I need a new one. I would really like an SSD drive. If you used to have a Surface Pro, I’d love to hear why you went with the Book 2 and what you have found different than the surface pro.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed, I had a Surface Pro 3. I gave it away to a family member who still uses it every day.

The Surface Book will let you type much easier, since the keyboard has a margin around it. The type cover ends at the left and right SHIFT keys, and so does support for your wrists.

But that is trivial compared to the speed of processing, screen and video quality, boot up speed, storage space, speaker quality, and the keystroke feel. Also, since the screen and keyboard both have batteries, I compute with less stress. ;)

Turbo4AWD

Did you ever have a Surface Pro? My Surface Pro 3 just died and I need a new one. I would really like an SSD drive. If you used to have a Surface Pro, I’d love to hear why you went with the Book 2 and what you have found different than the surface pro.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went with a Surface Pro 6 because I have a gaming laptop to use for gobs of power that for some reason people go to the Surface Book for. I feel like the Surface Book isn't the right direction if you need Gaming Laptop power and speed. Otherwise, you will witness that it's just not enough power to complete the task. So when I want power, I stick to gaming laptops/desktops. Especially for gaming. For mobility with being able to edit videos or create presentations and other "work" stuff, I went with something that could ALSO replace my tablet for consumption, but not get restricted to "mobile only content". It was a huge hurdle that often left me frustrated on my iPad. I would tap on a link and get "not available on mobile device".

Regardless, the size, power, and battery life (especially now that the Pro 6 has so much more battery life than prior Surface Pro's), with the option to be used as a tablet too, I chose the Surface Pro 6 as my choice for work/consumption/tablet device. It's been perfect and I actually use it more in tablet mode than with the keyboard. I usually just use the keyboard when I'm posting or doing a lot of work in a spreadsheet/document.

I really don't feel the Surface Book is powerful enough to make up for the power that my gaming laptop has and tablet mode only lasts 2 hours, if that and I use my Surface Pro 6 as a tablet for WAY longer than 2 hours. I really just think that the ability for making the Surface Book a tablet was just to show something to someone really quickly and immediately plug it back into the base. Not necessarily to be used as an ACTUAL tablet.

cricket1001

1) What would be the difference between the Surface Pro 6 & 7?
2) Can the Surface Pro 6 or 7 be connected to a different bluetooth keyboard? I’m thinking of putting the Surface Pro 6 or 7 on an arm or tripod extension thing and using a separate keyboard on my lap when I am sitting on my couch or in bed. Would this be possible? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of arm or tripod extension to use or where to find them?
Thanks