What's new

STEAM games constantly crash?

iSaliena

Not sure if it's steam, or my Surface Pro 2, or the fact I have windows 8? But all my games crash. To start people said the SP2 is great for gaming, so the games should work on it. Anyways, I've refreshed my whole computer, uninstalled and reinstalled games and everything. I just bought a new game (STALKER SoC) and the fact that I can't play it is so frustrating. I open the game and it seems to work, the menu works and everything, until i click play... then it all shuts down and there is a big black square in the upper left corner left and thats it. After that I can't use my desktop, I have to restart my computer to use it again.. anyone have any solutions? This is a whole new computer I paid a lot for and one of my reasons for getting it was gaming!

Try setting desktop to 100% (right click desktop, resolution, blue text link 'make text larger')

Set game to minimum eye candy and 720 resolution.

Might not work, but it's the first thing I try when games don't work as they should; worth testing

jollywombat

I dont think anyone would claim this is a gaming pc by any stretch of the imagination and if you purchased it specifically to game on I would suggest returning it immediately for something built with that in mind. With that said, you can get games to run on the SP2, however you have to realize it only has the very weak iGPU to work with, so games have to be run at fairly minimal settings and not all games will play nicely with the intel iGPU. Knowing those limitations and knowing what to expect, try out various games and enjoy, Ive been playing CIV and XCOM on mine lately and they work well.

Taking a quick glance around regarding stalker SOC, there are forums filled with reports and complains about this game crashing for a myriad of reasons. You might look around to get some advice specifically for that game on their forums, or just google "stalker soc crash" for tons of other reports and advice.

OP
iSaliena

iSaliena

yah but its not just stalker that crashes though :( but i didnt buy it for gaming i just got it cause i could do some gaming on it.. i got this mostly for school. ive seen others play on it i just to get why mine is glitchen out.

OP
iSaliena

iSaliena

youre a beautiful person .. i went to the game sentings and lowered a bunch of stuff and it worked!!!!!!!!!! no crash! (yet at least)

GoodBytes

youre a beautiful person .. i went to the game sentings and lowered a bunch of stuff and it worked!!!!!!!!!! no crash! (yet at least)

Yes. Keep in mind that you are using Intel graphics solution. This mean, despite Intel claims:
-> No full DirectX support
-> No full OpenGL support
-> No full OpenCL support
-> No full DirectCompute support
That is why you can have games, and if you use some CAD software, might crash as well.

In addition, Intel drivers aren't designed for all applications and games as you would expect. It uses a software list. If the game you try to run is not listed on Intel secret list which they reveal when they want to, then it may crash or provide very low performance. It might work, and to be honest recently it's not too bad, but still.
Basically, Intel doesn't have the expertise and knowledge that Nvidia and AMD have, and this is why it is like this. In addition, up to recently Intel never really focused or cared much on their graphic solution up until recently.

Last edited: