What's new

Strange screen issue

SteelSteve

So I just purchased a new Pro 6 yesterday. While setting it up and loading all the Microsoft updates I saw what looked like a line of water droplets down the right hand side of the screen. They disappeared instantly when I touched the screen, and the first time I thought it may have just been a glitch. It only happened twice and I was on the machine for hours. I'm guessing maybe driver issues, possibly being updated and causing a momentary glitch, but figured I check in an see if it ever happened to others.

sharpuser

Super Moderator
Staff member
Were you viewing a webpage that had a video playing, or were you playing any kind of video in a window at the time?

OP
SteelSteve

SteelSteve

I don't believe so but can't rule it out either. both times it ran down the right hand side of the screen id say a quarter of the way from right to left and from the top to the bottom in a straight line. It only did it twice and like I said the unit was pulling down a lot of updates so I'm hoping it was just a glitch caused by one or more of those being installed etc. simply touching the screen made them go away.

sharpuser

Super Moderator
Staff member
This does sound like a driver/firmware temporary glitch. Keep watching it, though.

Go in a dark room and do a restart. Watch the screen closely. Should be no “static” or pixel “noise”.

OP
SteelSteve

SteelSteve

Yep that is what it looked like. Is this something new or has yours been doing it for awhile?

toejams64

I think and if I can remember correctly it started happening just before the 1903 update. I have since performed a clean install of 1903 and it's still there.

Update: I usually run my Pro 6 of the Surface Dock. Just run it on battery now and the line has gone.

Last edited:
OP
SteelSteve

SteelSteve

Just looked at the other discussion on this. Glad its not just my machine. Hopefully Microsoft will correct at some point.

Plantje

I have had this on all three of my Surface Pro devices. On several builds. Glad to find more people have this. I just didn't have the time to properly research it :)