What's new

Surface 2 battery not detected

wendym0213

I have had my Surface 2 for a few months now and I have had no problems at all until today. When I hover the mouse over the battery it shows not battery is detected and I also have no sound at all. It is on mute and it will not let me unmute it and shows no speakers as well. I have tried to restart it and that did not work. I tried afterwards to reset my tablet and it is still showing that there is no battery detected and no speakers. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

InspectHerGadget

There have been some bad batches of batteries in these so most likely it is a hardware fault and you'll need to return it to Microsoft.

I was talking to some salespeople today and they said that they're running short of stock of the Surface 2 as they had a major issue with the batteries on them so they're being held and tested before sale. The symptom is that the battery isn't detected.

In your case it has been running a few months without any trouble but it sounds like a similar issuel

David Hollaz

I tried to buy a Surface 2 at Best Buy, since they dropped the price $100 AND included Outlook for the calendar sync abilities with my desktop.
I took the unit home and after setting it up I noticed in the system tray, such as it is, the power icon said "Battery Not Detected".
Took it back, exchanged it for another unit (with Best Buy personnel whispering about the unit). Took it to the office, and same problem: "Battery Not Detected."
Took that unit back, and they tested another unit they had, same problem. They told me they had just returned a batch to Microsoft, but that Microsoft guaranteed this batch was OK. Turns out the newest batch also had the same problem.
I'm trying to order one from Staples, due to arrive Friday, since I'd also ordered a $40 book and case and car power supply which are being shipped from Amazon. If the Staples unit has the same problem, I'm gonna cancel the order and start return the accessories and stay with my Samsung Galaxy (which syncs to Outlook like a blind, drunken sailor).

InspectHerGadget

This same battery issue happened to Surface 2 here in Australia and is widespread. Serious. Very serious.

I hope you can find one that works. I'm sure you will, Microsoft and retailers are aware of it.

I think Microsoft's QC sucks though. They are careless.

Pac757

I just bought a 64gb LTE surface 2 today from best buy, right out of the box, no battery detected, didn't have a replacement at best buy, last one, so I got online with Microsoft surface support, after 3 hours of trying everything there going to send me another one. I really hope that the new one, coming straight from Microsoft, at least has a better chance at not being defective. This is crazy, it's not like these are cheap tablets, terrible QC on Microsoft's end. Had anyone received a replacement from Microsoft, I'm wondering if it comes with another charger as I'm thinking maybe it is a problem. I am very disappointed in Microsoft. I know all manufacturers have some problems, but this is pretty wide spread and a fairly basic function, to charge the dam tablet, not rocket science here.

Pac757

Oh, as a side note, it appears that once Microsoft support determines that they will issue you a replacement device, that they cancel your Windows software registration on your existing tablet, I had been reading about people that said it was a problem with the charger, I had already done a full reset and was going to set it up again, but it wouldn't find or use my existing Microsoft account and when I went to do updates it failed. The error code said something about this copy of Windows Rt not registered / authentic. This is a brand new tablet bought today from best buy, my account and updates worked until they processed the exchange support ticket. I guess they de activate your Surface when they decided to replace it.