What's new

Surface 2 to offer more rigid BACKLIT KEYBOARD?!

kristalsoldier

I believe the keyboards will be much stiffer this time around, which will also be a good thing. Now, I am just waiting for 8.1 to drop...!

beman39

do you guys think it would be worth it to return my rt (still in 2 weeks return policy at futureshop) and pay an extra $100 for the new one. I know they say its faster and stuff but im fine with the rt. would the new tegra 4 speed really make a noticeable difference?

unless I can see the specs of both posted side by side I would stick with the RT as I'm sure they won't be "OMG factor" differences and since your happy with the RT you have now, why go through all the hassles? it has been reported that having 8.1 OS makes the RT a little faster too. that's just my 2 cents ;)

souldier

do you guys think it would be worth it to return my rt (still in 2 weeks return policy at futureshop) and pay an extra $100 for the new one. I know they say its faster and stuff but im fine with the rt. would the new tegra 4 speed really make a noticeable difference?

If you can wait 1 month, then I'd rather get the surface 2 no doubt. It is significantly faster, has a 1080p screen, lighter, thinner, multiple kickstand angle, better cameras, supports the different keyboard covers, better color reproduction and all with LONGER battery life. I know they will ALWAYS come out with better devices, but if you just need to wait a month, then I'd say its definitely worth it. You might regret it after your return policy expires

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I was there, and all of the new keyboards are awesome, the Hover Sensors in the backlighting is really cool, the new type keyboards are very close to width of Touch 1. The gestures on Touch 2mare very cool, but only work in the Modern UI. Also the Touch 2 has the Predictive Words like the ODK in 8.1 with the same inserting using the space bar.

kristalsoldier

Any pics of the new keyboards?

Also, while I am not so much enamoured by the increased resolution of the Surface 2 (though, undeniably, that is nice!), the two-step kickstand is what sounds very attractive to me. But, as I mentioned before, I don't think my wallet will bear the expense this round!!!

R0bR

I definitely would. I'm happy with my RT as well but if I had to only wait another month and I could get all the new changes for only $100? The Tegra 4 is 5x faster, that's pretty significant. But then again, that's just me.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

demandarin

Return it asap and get the newer version. The tegra4 CPU and GPU upgrade is well worth it alone. I've seen videos of surface2 in action. Its really fast compared to 1st generation tegra3 version.

Do it while you have the chance. Don't be like me. If I only would've signed up for best buy reward zone points, which is free, I could've returned my pro1 which I purchased 8/10. You get 60days, originally. Now its 45days return for silver/elite member. My recent purchases alone would've qualified me.

Ahhh! I would much rather have a pro2. But this one I have serves me well. I just like to have the latest n greatest..lol

Seriously though, return it while you can. Because once that return window passes, you're stuck.

Surface2 RT upgrades/benefits over original one:
-1080p display
-Its lighter and thinner
-Likely even better battery life
-Tegra4 CPU/gpu-significant processing power increase and graphics performance. More efficient than tegra3
-USB 3.0 port: allows for faster file transfer and more devices able to be used at once hooked up to surface2
-wayyyy better front and rear camera than original. Likely no more grainy looking stuff..lol
-all the free Skype goodies. International calling etc..
-even more free skydrive cloud space
-I believe stuff automatically saves to the cloud saving space on device. You could always change default save path though.
-beefed up speakers/sound with Dolby

Surface RT is cool. But Surface2, looks and spec wise, is a winner for sure. If I had an RT and still able to return, I would in a heartbeat.

kristalsoldier

Return it asap and get the newer version. The tegra4 CPU and GPU upgrade is well worth it alone. I've seen videos of surface2 in action. Its really fast compared to 1st generation tegra3 version.

Do it while you have the chance. Don't be like me. If I only would've signed up for best buy reward zone points, which is free, I could've returned my pro1 which I purchased 8/10. You get 60days, originally. Now its 45days return for silver/elite member. My recent purchases alone would've qualified me.

Ahhh! I would much rather have a pro2. But this one I have serves me well. I just like to have the latest n greatest..lol

Seriously though, return it while you can. Because once that return window passes, you're stuck.

Surface2 RT upgrades/benefits over original one:
-1080p display
-Its lighter and thinner
-Likely even better battery life
-Tegra4 CPU/gpu-significant processing power increase and graphics performance. More efficient than tegra3
-USB 3.0 port: allows for faster file transfer and more devices able to be used at once hooked up to surface2
-wayyyy better front and rear camera than original. Likely no more grainy looking stuff..lol
-all the free Skype goodies. International calling etc..
-even more free skydrive cloud space
-I believe stuff automatically saves to the cloud saving space on device. You could always change default save path though.
-beefed up speakers/sound with Dolby

Surface RT is cool. But Surface2, looks and spec wise, is a winner for sure. If I had an RT and still able to return, I would in a heartbeat.

Now if you put it that way, I may have to reconsider the state and condition of my wallet!!!!

CrippsCorner

Great idea but unfortunately an eye condition I suffer from means I can't really enjoy back-lit keyboards :( (I see lots of ghosting around small lights) I wonder if you'll be able to turn that function off on them?

souldier

Kayzee that's interesting I haven't heard of such an eye condition. I'm sure there will be an option to turn off the back lighting especially since it will have a slight impact on battery life