What's new

Surface 3 one year later display problem

Gus

Well it has been a good year. I got this surface3 to replace my Galaxy tab. Needless to say my GTab is now my alarm clock next to my bed. There have been many updates and my surface has been solid. I went from win 8.1 to win 10. I found many tricks here in this forum alone. (now have to back over these threads to find all them)

But with two weeks left to go on my warranty, I got a replacement device. About a month ago, I noticed bright green pixels showing up on the startup screen. Next to the blue Windows icon there were bright green pixels mostly in the upper right quarter of the screen. Over the last month more and more of them showed up. Finally it got to the point that I could see them in a black image in my picture editor when the brightness was all the way up.

I called MS and sent the tech a photo of them with my camera. He called for a replacement and the store in San Diego replaced it the next day. Great seeing the boot screen with no bright green pixels again.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Plantje

No, that doesn't sound familiar. Good to see that it became visible just in time before the warranty ended.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My Surface 3 has been rock solid, bought it at launch...went through all of the Threshold Betas and now Redstone Betas.

Plantje

I'm thinking of installing the latest Redstone preview on my Surface 3. It looks pretty solid on my desktop. How is it working out for you?

Plantje

Ahum...oops... does this look familiar to you? I just started my Surface 3 and noticed the pixels. I haven't seen them after the tablet has started up, but I am not too fond of this :(
WP_20160424_13_09_02_Rich.jpg
WP_20160424_13_09_07_Rich.jpg

Plantje

Only after opening it I noticed the picture was your own and not mine! So, that does demonstrate the issues are much alike.

Plantje

Sorry, can I bug you some more on this one? Your device has been replaced; has Microsoft confirmed it was actually a faulty device?
Do you happen to have a screen protector attached to the screen? I have the Microsoft tempered glass screen protector.

The only thing that I have changed recently is that I have disabled the device going into hibernation after 240 minutes. I wanted the device to be really connected standby and instantly on.

OP
G

Gus

MS replaced the device after seeing the above image. I use no screen protector and always power off when not using the surface

Plantje

Thanks a lot! My replacement Surface is on its way to me. I called them and in the form you have to fill out to get called back I included the link to this topic. The woman that I talked to had never seen someone use this method to make clear what the issue was and she LOVED it!
After seeing the pictures she was convinced. I could either have the device repaired or have it replaced. Since I have the option for advanced support I choose to replace it. That way I can use this one until I get the new one.

Great service so far, Microsoft!