What's new

Surface Case Reviews

benjitek

Messenger Bags...?

I was so impressed with the mini-case from INCASE that I also purchased a messenger bag of theirs. It's from their upscale line, black leather and coated canvas. Very well built, lots of padding in the side for the laptop (Surface Pro 2) which is lined with a fleece that feels like fur. It's designed for a MacBook 13" sized laptop, but it's an excellent pairing for a Surface. The organizer compartment is roomy (2 pen holders, 2 generous pockets, lots of room to spare) and the center section has 3 side pockets for power adapters, mice, etc with a huge amount of general storage as well. Retails for $150, but I found it on eBay for $115 (new, retail tags intact, shipping included). What doesn't show prominently in the pictures is a zippered 'secret-compartment' on the side to hold a smartphone. IMHO, it's the best Surface Pro 2 messenger bag that $115 can buy.
:big smile:
[video=youtube;V9YpHIYxo7s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9YpHIYxo7s[/video]​
Case-01.pngCase-02.pngCase-03.pngCase-04.png

Last edited:

jrhillma

I picked up the Maroo Kope leather folio case for the Surface Pro 2 a couple of days ago. The SP2 fits very well in it, with the Type 2 keyboard cover attached. It looks great; very professional. Only complaints are that the stylus doesn't snap in to the magnet port (one of the silicone corner guards prevents it from sitting close enough to the SP2), although there is a stylus keeper loop along the top (long) edge; the kickstand on the SP2 can't be used when in the case. They do have a 'replacement' or 'surrogate' kickstand but it only has one position and it's somewhat fiddly getting it closed.

Bottom line is that I'll keep it and use it, although now I'm looking for a small-ish messenger bag to carry the SP2, charger and a couple of microSD cards.

2cpsy0
QKN9OH

benjitek

Personally, I have an aversion to engineering presented as elastic bands prominently holding things in place -- lazy product design that cheapens perception -- but cases are a personal matter, and if that works for you then it's your best choice ;-)

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I really like about the Maroo Case is the option to create a wedge configuration which is t perfect angle for inking....

benjitek

One thing I really like about the Maroo Case is the option to create a wedge configuration which is t perfect angle for inking....
I think the Freedom Case is a much better option for that. For one thing, there was a lot of thought that went into the design of the case -- the case accommodates the device instead of the user accommodating the case. No compromises, ships early May -- I pre-ordered :)
[video=youtube;jCVbYyZ8tbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCVbYyZ8tbc[/video]

Last edited:

Max91

The freedom case is surely the best solution, but it is shipped from USA and for European customers the custom duties are too expansive (about 22% + the duty in Italy).
Hope in the future they will sell directly in Europe

Tsurugaya

The freedom case is surely the best solution, but it is shipped from USA and for European customers the custom duties are too expansive (about 22% + the duty in Italy).
Hope in the future they will sell directly in Europe

No matter how it is imported to Europe there will always be custom duties to deal with, jess when you do it yourself.

Max91

Yes, but this way I'll pay tax both in USA and Italy. If they will sold it directly in Europe I'll pay only Italian IVA.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think the Freedom Case is a much better option for that. For one thing, there was a lot of thought that went into the design of the case -- the case accommodates the device instead of the user accommodating the case. No compromises, ships early May -- I pre-ordered :)
[video=youtube;jCVbYyZ8tbc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCVbYyZ8tbc[/video]

I like the Freedom Case, but the Maroo is available now and I gain productivity from having it now...

benjitek

I like the Freedom Case, but the Maroo is available now and I gain productivity from having it now...
That's great you found something you like -- personally, I'd rather no case at all over the Maroo -- looks cheap and I'm plenty productive without it. Again, cases are highly personal -- and good for you settling on a Maroo ;-)

so i have been through so many of the pages and I am lost..

I have simple needs... what case simply holds the SP2 with type 2 keyboard and allows stylus to be locked in so it doesnt get lost? in black...

is the maroo case it?

benjitek

so i have been through so many of the pages and I am lost..

I have simple needs... what case simply holds the SP2 with type 2 keyboard and allows stylus to be locked in so it doesnt get lost? in black...

is the maroo case it?
For now, unfortunately, yes :-(