What's new

Surface Pen Tip Kit - sold out/expensive?

ONeill

Hello!

I bought my first pen tip kit 1 year ago for 10 € (Germany). It seems that nowadays it´s quite hard to buy it for that price. Big electronic stores typically dont have them, same as for amazon. The microsoft store charges around 20 $ for it.

I finally found a store (now living in Finland) that has them in stock for around 11 €. Is it only my impression that it´s getting much harder to buy the tips for a reasonable price?

I am just imagineing what might happen in one year when I will need new tips again, when it´s already hard to buy them now. :confused:

Looking forward to read about your impressions, thanks.

BR ONeill

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be interested to learn what the general concensus is on these. I bought the pack, and it's been sat in a draw since. I just couldn't find any benefit to it over the regular tip.

OP
O

ONeill

Dear hughlee,
I personally really like the "B" tip, it makes it easier to take notes for me. The difference is quite big, as long as your screen is clean. I sometimes change the tip between artwork and taking notes. From my point of view, the price of 10 € is ok, but 20 € is way to expensive.
BR ONeill

awwshoot

LOL We have 21 SP4s at my work and the nurses go through pen tips like crazy. Now like O'neal commented, they are selling out or sell 3 for $20usd and 4 packs around $35usd. Seems like Microsoft may be phasing out the 4 tip pack for a 3 tip pack but still charging $20 a kit! What Microsoft is charging for these pen tips is highway robbery when you consider going through 4 x 4 packs a month or 2.

Zero bulk purchase for any specific tip either.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What on earth are your nurses doing wih their pens? I have used the same pen extensively day in day out for 3 years and never had to replace the nib or even consider replacing it.

awwshoot

What on earth are your nurses doing wih their pens? I have used the same pen extensively day in day out for 3 years and never had to replace the nib or even consider replacing it.

LOL Tell me about it! I'm still using the original tip myself.

Some of them write harder as well as tap harder then needed on the screen, meaning I can hear them smacking the screen across the nurse station. LOL Previous tablets, XT2, required more pressure than these pens so it has been hard to break them of that!

Also think some of them are getting dropped but no one admits to dropping the pens. Not sure how else you could mushroom the solid tips other then hard taping or dropping the pen. Just glad these are far more robust then the XT2 pens which cost $25 for each drop since they were shot is they hit the ground tip first!