What's new

Bought the Surface Pro 4 today. (An upgrade from Surface Pro 2)

MCube74

Today I picked up the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 from the store today.

I bought the i5 model with 8gb ram and 256gb hard disk. Initially I wanted to get the i7 model and then I watched some videos on youtube and if people can play some hard core games with the i5 Model then it will be perfect for me since I will not play any hardcore games. I have the Xbox One for that.

Also I do plan on buying the next best thing from Apple or Microsoft next year so it makes good sense to save the money.

I also was initially confused between the iPad Pro and the Surface Pro 4. Then comparing the two in terms on price and what I wanted to do, it became clear to me that Surface Pro 4 with full desktop OS support and double the ram and hard disk at the same price will be more worth it.

So with my Surface Pro 4 I picked up a dark blue keyboard cover. Didn't want to get a black one this time as I wanted something different. The light blue one was not available but upon checking the demo unit, I noticed that the light blue one will get dirty easily at the edges. It will be horrible to have a dirty cover to carry around. The red cover may be more appealing to the ladies or guys who like to have such colors.

I also picked up the Surface Pen Tip Kit. Will come in handy when trying different styles of writing (pencil, ball pen, etc).

Finally I also picked up the Office 365 Home Edition. It can be used for 5pcs and 5 tablets or Phones. I got it for only HK $498 (US $65). It is a good deal as I can share with my wife and also for my computer at the office and can also give 1 account to my parents so that they can get 1TB storage for their photos. Next year if I buy the Surface Pro 5 then I will probably buy another one for 1 year usage. For HK $500 (US $65) it is a must have add on to the Surface and other computers I have.

I wanted to get accidental damage cover like what Apple provides with Apple Care but sadly Microsoft doesn't offer it in Hong Kong. We only get 1 year warranty in Hong Kong. It is fine because I will be upgrading next year for sure. Rather save the money and use it for something else.

I am now looking for a carrying pouch. Any suggestions where I can buy one? Do let me know.

Attachments

• 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 631
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 612
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 607
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 609
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 598
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 615
OP
M

MCube74

I found a carrying pouch today at a shop on my way home. Since I was in a hurry I didn't test the size. The shop allowed me to come back to exchange for another size bigger (12.2") or smaller (11.6") if the one I got doesn't fit well. Got the pouch for about US $12.00.

Will test later after my family gather. Hope it fits.

Attachments

• Surface Pro 4 Pouch.JPG
    Surface Pro 4 Pouch.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 616

SurfaceDepth

I'm waiting for my preorder to show up to my local MS Store. I ordered the i7-512-16gig. Ive become completely dependent on my SP3 i7/256/8gig that having something with higher res screen, double the ram, double the storage, and the storage is like 2-3 times faster. I already upgraded to the SP4 type cover, which changed my experience completely. I also added the new dock at home.

I stopped into the store yesterday and they said they thought my unit would be in Friday Nov 20. They actually had most models of the Surface Book in stock as well, and it really gave me pause. But I just don't want to go back to a Laptop footprint after life with the SP3.

OP
M

MCube74

$65USD for Office 365 Home Edition is good deal. What is the difference between the Office 365 Home Edition that you got and the free one-year subscription that comes with SP4?

As for the pouch, I have been eyeing for the AmazonBacis sleeve. It is cheap and seems to be have good review. It should fit the SP4 with typecover.

http://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-N...447947031&sr=8-2&keywords=amazon+basic+sleeve
Surface Pro 4 offers 1 year free subscription of Office 365? Only for the US or also for other markets like Hong Kong?

I didn't know. I had planned to get the Office 365 Home Edition for a while but t-en decided when the store offered a promotional discount offer (USD 65).

OP
M

MCube74

Do you guys think the pouch which I got will fit the Surface Pro 4? I will check tonight as I am still out with family.

OP
M

MCube74

I tired my pouch and it is slightly big. Will go back to the shop and change for a smaller size (11.6" case). They told me that someone tried 11.6 and it fits but I was silly to get the 12.1". The Surface Pro 4 moves around inside the pouch. Hopefully the 11.6" size will just fit.

Attachments

• 7b.JPG
    7b.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 583
  • 7a.JPG
    7a.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 589
OP
M

MCube74

Got a glass screen protector for my Surface Pro 4.

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 539
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 596

bamaster

Surface Pro 4 offers 1 year free subscription of Office 365? Only for the US or also for other markets like Hong Kong?

I didn't know. I had planned to get the Office 365 Home Edition for a while but t-en decided when the store offered a promotional discount offer (USD 65).

My US SP4 came with a 1 month trial, which I'm using.