What's new

Surface Pro 128Gb = $499 at BestBuy!!

J515OP

Super Moderator
You're back!!!! We've missed you....

Yep, had to pop back in :) Still can't believe I just got 2 pros but at that price it was basically buy one get one free. Had been considering a RT2 and a fully loaded Pro2 a little down the line but now that's all changed now. I have been very happy with the way the software has been progressing and I'm looking forward to using the Pro as my fulltime pc.

cjf243

Just bought another surface pro 128gb for 499.00 at the Microsoft store in phoenix AZ. :) Saw that the microsoftstore.com site shows surface pro 128 GB on sale for 499.00. When I tried to call the store before I went there the lines were so busy the phone network connected me with a person at the Microsoft center/support. I told them the web site said 499.00 and he said nononono its 679.00. I said the site says 499.00. He says standby (on hold) comes back and says if you checkout it says 679.00 and can I sell one for you at 679.00. I said no thanks and hung up. Went to brick store and talked to clerk an told him I would like to buy a surface pro for 499.00. Surprised look on face and I had to show him the Microsoft store web site with the 499.00 price. He went to back of store came back and said ok 499.00. I asked him how long will this sale price last and he says I do not know. Makes me think this is a temporary mistake and will not last long at all. :shocked:

drolem

Just bought another surface pro 128gb for 499.00 at the Microsoft store in phoenix AZ. :)
[...]
Makes me think this is a temporary mistake and will not last long at all. :shocked:
They may have a bit too much inventory on hand, and it's better to dump them now then wait until they lose more value. As long as they can sell it for more than the DM (Direct Material) cost they don't really lose that much, or maybe even any money on it. They definitely not make a profit on it at $499, but it's still better than destroying them, or selling for less a year from now. It's probably not enough to cover overhead and R&D costs either, but that's life, and they need to do better product planning.

Interestingly, they didn't drop the RT that much. The screen capture is about 10 minutes old. :)

Edit: just checked it again, and it's now $679.00... :mad: :sorry:

Attachments

• sale.PNG
    sale.PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 913
Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Just bought another surface pro 128gb for 499.00 at the Microsoft store in phoenix AZ. :) Saw that the microsoftstore.com site shows surface pro 128 GB on sale for 499.00. When I tried to call the store before I went there the lines were so busy the phone network connected me with a person at the Microsoft center/support. I told them the web site said 499.00 and he said nononono its 679.00. I said the site says 499.00. He says standby (on hold) comes back and says if you checkout it says 679.00 and can I sell one for you at 679.00. I said no thanks and hung up. Went to brick store and talked to clerk an told him I would like to buy a surface pro for 499.00. Surprised look on face and I had to show him the Microsoft store web site with the 499.00 price. He went to back of store came back and said ok 499.00. I asked him how long will this sale price last and he says I do not know. Makes me think this is a temporary mistake and will not last long at all. :shocked:

Good job! Stick it to the man :D

OP
L

lparsons21

Yep, the MS online store is now $679 which is not a good deal imo. Sure, it is cheaper than the Surface Pro 2, but not by nearly enough. Old new stock is no bargain unless it is a REAL bargain, imo.

Frankly I expect the price to drop back down again as I don't believe the $679 price will make for many sales.

drolem

dammit i just heard of this , any other store that have the same deal ( 500$ ) ?
Manufacturers usually coordinate major, promotional price cuts, so you will either have more than one place (i.e. Best Buy & MS) selling them at a major discount, or nobody is selling them at a manufacturer sponsored discount.

Future pricing will depend on the inventory level -- if MS has lots of unsold units, the $500 price will probably show up anew. If they don't have many units, a major price cut is much less likely. MS will probably want to get rid of most the original Pro's by the year's end. (save just enough for expected warranty replacements)

Last edited: