What's new

Surface Pro 2 – Dual Monitor Setup

Projeckt_Mahy3m

Yep. This picture shows the front of the dock. In addition to the two display ports, there's a small (4 port) USB hub and a 3.5 mm speaker jack. The front of the dock has a second 3.5 mm speaker jack as well as a microphone jack and two USB 3.0 ports.

It's a solid little device and isn't specific to the Surface. I loaded up the drivers on my wife's Dell Latitude so she can use the external setup when she comes home too.

Promise, I don't work for Kennsington and I'm not getting commission! :excited: I just like the product. ALOT.

PerG

Hey, I was just looking at buying these exact monitors! Are you happy with yours? I read that some people were having issues with their monitors turning off by themselves sometimes, have you had that experience I have also read someone thought his had a yellowish-tint, would you agree?

The only other reason I would wait is for a 24" 4K monitor to come out that allows Daisy-Chaining. What are your opinions on that?

I have only had them for a week, but so far I'm happy! ;)... I also like that there's a builtin USB 3.0 Hub so I have connected the first monitor with USB uplink and then chaining to the second giving me 7 USB 3.0 ports!

The only issue I had with the monitors so far was that the last monitor in the chain had some issues starting up when the Surface Pro 2 is returning from sleep. It has only happend twice so it doesn't happen everytime. I don't know if it's Surface or the monitors that's having problem. Hopefully it's a driver issue in the Surface Pro 2.. I have never had any problems with them turning off without any reason...

I haven't noticed any yellowish tint and none of my colleauges have said anything about it... The only thing they notice is the thin border and that they also would like to get

Regarding 4K, since the Surface Pro 2 cannot support more than 2560 x 1440 on external monitor, would there be any real benifits with a 4k monitor then since you would need to run it at a lower resolution anyway?

ohioDroid

I am using my Surface Pro with two external monitors that run at 1920x1080 each. One monitor is connected using a approx. $10 DisplayPort to HDMI converter from Monoprice. The other monitor is connected using a USB 2.0 to DVI adapter. The adapter installs some software on the computer that grabs a bit of RAM to use as video memory for the adapter to act as an additional graphics card.

It actually works really well. I do have to unplug two cables whenever I want to get up and go, but that's no big deal.

OP
L

Lewisw

@richhs - thanks for suggesting that USB Dock, I think I've come across it before, but its really great to know that it works with the system.

@PerG - thanks for suggesting monitors that work well with the pro, weird that MS would note on there support page that "Support for DisplayPort 1.2 daisy chaining Surface Pro 2 with multiple monitors is coming soon from Windows Update." Suppose it must have already been done - Connect Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 to a TV, monitor or projector

@EthanDavis - thanks for your suggestion, but I couldn't find that device from a UK retailer.

@Projeckt_Mahy3m - thanks for suggesting another type of dock that works with the pro; its really good to have options.

Thanks to everyone who has replied - its made the selection process a heck of a lot easier knowing there are more options out there that definitely are going to work with the Pro2.

I have no quite decided what I will do yet, but hopefully this page with be of help to others in a similar situation.

PerG

@PerG - thanks for suggesting monitors that work well with the pro, weird that MS would note on there support page that "Support for DisplayPort 1.2 daisy chaining Surface Pro 2 with multiple monitors is coming soon from Windows Update." Suppose it must have already been done - Connect Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2 to a TV, monitor or projector

Maybe MS have some driver issues (like the one I experienced two times with not returning from sleep) and wanted to wait until an update to officially say that it works? ;)

MickeyLittle

I'm looking at the following 2 dock options and I'm wondering what the difference is between them besides the fact that the 1st one is $141 and has 4 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 while the 2nd one is $119 with 2 USB 3.0 and 4 USB 2.0. Is there any other feature differences that I'm missing that makes the $141 Toshiba model the one to buy or am I ok getting the $119 Plugable.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZGWJU2/ref=dra_a_cs_lb_hn_it_P1400_1000?tag=dradisplay-20

Amazon.com : Plugable UD-3900 USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station with Dual Video Outputs for Windows 8.1, 8, 7, XP (HDMI and DVI/ VGA to 2048x1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, 4A AC Power Adapter) : Laptop Computer Docki

vnvjeep

My friend Mike was the first at our organization to get a Surface Pro 2, and he went through several docks before finally getting to one that works for us. We ended up with this one: The USB 3.0 Lenovo Thinkpad Docking Station -- Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Docking Station (0A33970): Computers & Accessories... it goes for around $150, but I'm sure you can find it for less.

Our requirements were that we needed 2 DVI outs on the docking station to drive 2 large 24" monitors (which only have VGA and DVI inputs), so that they show up as separate monitors on the Surface. The problem many run into is that with the wrong docking station/connections, these 2 monitors will span and become one huge surface, which is not friendly or condusive when it comes to snapping apps to various monitors, or for the purposes of resizing apps.

Anyways, I'm writing to you right now with this device, and I'm extremely happy with it. It's got USB plugs galore, so all I have to do in the morning is jack 1 USB 3.0 plug into my Surface, and I'm ready to go.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
-Mike