What's new

Surface Pro 2 still turns back on after firmware update

benz

Is there a way to fix this? Its out of stock locally and I really dont want a refurb replacement where I have to reinstall all my stuff. I'm getting frustrated enough to call my bank about a chargeback, how did they not fix this after a month?

Thanks!

mennogreg

If a report on the website Winbeta is correct (and it may very well not be), it seems as if the new firmware is being released in waves, and in pieces. I think that's why the download sizes are so small. Which means they're being incredibly cautious, or they aren't certain what's causing the problem/aren't sure if they fixed it, and will release it piecemeal.

drolem

Are you *sure* that you have a new firmware?

Post what's on the "Driver" tabs, plus what's shown on the corresponding Properties -> Details -> Property -> Hardware ids

benjitek

...I'm getting frustrated enough to call my bank about a chargeback, how did they not fix this after a month?

Your chargeback won't 'stick' if the purchase falls outside the 30-day return window. Even if they initially process it, they'll reverse it after the research phase =(

OP
B

benz

Are you *sure* that you have a new firmware?

Post what's on the "Driver" tabs, plus what's shown on the corresponding Properties -> Details -> Property -> Hardware ids

Not entirely sure where this is. Looking at the firmware drivers in device manager all shows pre 1/14 dates. However, when I look at my Windows Updates logs it says I got an Update for Windows 8.1 for x86-based systems (KB2903939) on 12/14....

So despite getting an update when I logged off that night, it appears I actually don't have one?

Thanks again!

Not entirely sure where this is. Looking at the firmware drivers in device manager all shows pre 1/14 dates. However, when I look at my Windows Updates logs it says I got an Update for Windows 8.1 for x86-based systems (KB2903939) on 12/14....

So despite getting an update when I logged off that night, it appears I actually don't have one?

Thanks again!

The firmware update doesn't have a KB unfortunately. Here's a shot of what you're looking for:

www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro-2/7754-update-here-uk.html

OP
B

benz

Thank you again for the info and help. It's maddening how long it's taking to have this fixed.

beq

I always wear a Bluetooth headset (Plantronics Voyager Legend/UC) and have it paired with my SP2 and iPhone.

Unexpected benefit is that I get notified in my ear whenever my SP2 turns on or wakes up unexpectedly (as long as I'm within range). For example if the SP2 turns on by itself across the room, or in the car in its case, my headset chimes "PC connected" :D

dutchiedave

Speaking with surface support, this is exactly what they tell you. The firmware is coming in pieces, with new firmware in a few weeks.

They are fully aware the January firmware is not a complete fix.