What's new

Is the SP2 coming again?

ProOrNo

It may be wishful thinking, but I have to say it might be the case.

After my SP2 was stolen, I missed out on a replacement a few weeks back when my credit card was declined. Turns out msoft used the shipping address as the billing address and the card company correctly, declined it. The downside of that was by the time (almost three full days) I straightened it out with the very frustrating idiots that msoft regards as CS, they were out of stock of the two models I wanted.

Anyway, yesterday I checked and the website is still showing a link for "Surface Pro 2". Clicking that and then the subsequent Model boxes, all four show "Out of stock."

This has me wondering if the recent rush to SP2 after the SP3 release has msoft making more SP2. It would make some sense as the 10" form factor is a polarizing issue for a lot of people it seems. Specially so when the internal specifications are almost the same for some models.

Perhaps I am rating msoft to be smarter than they are, but I am hopeful of seeing the "Out of stock" disappearing in the coming weeks or so. Time, is on my side. :)

jefhart

I think they are done making the SP2. In fact the brick and mortar stores don't carry them anymore.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id sell them as long as there are sufficient buyers, but maybe that's what's happened. Not enough buying to make it worth while. If (and this is total speculation) they shutdown the SP2 manufacturing line, that could have sparked rumors of Surface being discontinued. Time will tell.

OP
P

ProOrNo

Ummm, check my post again. They are still shown on the website but "Out of stock," AND they sold out of all the remaining SP2 in two weeks. Considering they were offering only $100 off, that's a lot of interest to this tired old brain. But again, I suspect msoft may not be smart enough to see that.

IF the web guy is going in to to change page-stuff, why leave the links there? They have removed the free cover-bundle stuff but not the other links.

Basically, I posted the above, so I could have an I told you so if they do come back, call it old farts intuiton. :)

InspectHerGadget

It is possible they could bring out more, depending on demand, I guess.

I think some pen users would prefer the pen on the SP2. To me although I like the actual pen itself and the feel when it writes, an active pen, full of electronics, is not the way to go. The SP2 pen is pretty well perfect ie. good pressure sensitivity and zero glitches. I find the SP3 pen you have to be more cautious with making sure that the pen has been recognised by the pen before resting my palm, for instance. I've also had one or two times where it wouldn't write, hasn't happened lately though so maybe this has been fixed. It is also full of batteries.

I like the form factor of both. There is no perfect screen size. If I'm perching somewhere I like the SP2, but most times the bigger screen is better.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All SP2 that are going to manufactured have already been manufactured, this has been confirmed by the Surface Team. The SP2 is EOL and once stock is exhausted they will no longer be for sale. Microsoft retail channels may shift stock to meet some orders but not new stock....

InspectHerGadget

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a smaller Surface especially if the Surface 2 WinRT line becomes past tense. It would make sense to have a smaller Broadwell M based unit which will be ultracompact.

jefhart

I wouldn't be surprised if they offer a smaller Surface especially if the Surface 2 WinRT line becomes past tense. It would make sense to have a smaller Broadwell M based unit which will be ultracompact.
They have confirmed the next Surface will be compatible with SP3 peripherals so this is not likely.