What's new

Surface Pro 3 launched - 12" tablet, 9mm thick, 2160x1440

quadtronix

I've been reading some articles about the SP3 and I have to say, I am a little more than intrigued now!! That display resolution sounds sweet and for my needs I might be able to make due with an i3 processor. I also like the new kickstand as I like my tablet to recline on the desk a little more than my original Surface used to. I know the S2 reclines a bit more but the freedom to use it at almost any angle is a big plus to me... The pen is a nice feature, just not sure how I would use it in my life but who knows... the main thing I like though, and this is going to sound really funny coming from someone with only small tablets, is that 12" screen. I can see going for that size, seeing as it's replacing any laptop in my backpack. We'll see... for now I'll be doing some more investigating on this.
:)

mohcho

The aspect ratio of this is the most compelling element to me. That might sound strange.

Same here. Using the SP2 to take notes is great, but I wished it was just a bit bigger. I think I'm just getting old and the high res with the 10.6" screen is hard to see stuff so I find myself constantly zooming in. I like the 3:2 aspect ratio as well.

kristalsoldier

Same here. Using the SP2 to take notes is great, but I wished it was just a bit bigger. I think I'm just getting old and the high res with the 10.6" screen is hard to see stuff so I find myself constantly zooming in. I like the 3:2 aspect ratio as well.

Yup...me too! From what I saw being demo'ed, the SP3 looks like a damn good machine. Only twinge is the lack of Connected Standby - oh well, I guess, my phone can take care of that. Now, when is it that they are releasing it in the UK?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yup...me too! From what I saw being demo'ed, the SP3 looks like a damn good machine. Only twinge is the lack of Connected Standby - oh well, I guess, my phone can take care of that. Now, when is it that they are releasing it in the UK?

Connected Standby is supported in this go around, they implemented TPM 2.0....

AnandTech | Microsoft Surface Pro 3: Hands On, Display & Performance Preview

They switched to n-Trig to allow it to be thinner as n-Trig implements more components in the Pen...

busanga

What is advantage of start button on side instead of bottom. I just bought sp2 pro, actually like the smaller size like I prefer Samsung 10 to the larger 12 note pro, but jealous of i7, lighter and what I assume to be more durable finish.

munakib

yes, I want to clearly know if its worth the upgrade from SP2! The price difference the two are just so weird, especially when you realize the SP2 was released 6months back. Panay and team seriously need to understand lifecycle of these devices, you cannot refresh a device every 6 months.

Last edited:

Ruffles

The aspect ratio of this is the most compelling element to me. That might sound strange.

I'm totally with you. Ever since the HD TV craze, manufactures have been shoving 16:9 panels in computers so they are "HD" etc. I hate it. I want HEIGHT, not width. On my dev machine, I run one monitor in portrait mode so I can see more code.