What's new

surface pro 4 keyboard stop working

Omaru73

some one have same problem? 3 days ago my keyboard stop working and I missing type cover filter device driver. I try all also format but still cant use. please if someone have solution I will be happy to knows.

Thanks

DaveTN

I'm having the same problem. Started yesterday. Tried a full restore and it did not fix the problem so I did a full format and restored from the original media and it is still not working. My guess is that a recent firmware update messed it up.

I know my KB is still functioning because I tried it on another SP4 and it worked fine.

David

OP
O

Omaru73

Exactly the same. My keyboard work to other SP4 but not on mine. I hope we can fix it up. If I have have new how to fix up I will let you know.

OP
O

Omaru73

Hi David,
So far there is not solution. The only thing we can do is go to Microsoft store to make it fix. I am leaving in island of Philippine and it is too far to go Manila on Microsoft store. I am scare we should pay too to be fix.. Microsoft is suck and nobody care.. i sent many message an nobody reply me back.. after paid so much money for SP4 we don' have any support. I ll never buy again Microsoft. If ypu are near microsoft store go there and let me know what happened to our device. Thanks

DaveTN

Well, Still not working. So far I have created an recovery image on my thumb drive and restored twice but my keyboard still does not work on my SP4 (it works on my daughters). I have downloaded and ran the Surface troubleshooter application that MS linked me to. It found several out of date drivers (really??) and installed them.

Finally, I called MS and spent an hour on the phone (well, 58 minutes) and went through all their extensive troubleshooting steps - most of which I had already done, and my Type Cover Keyboard still does not work. So, I have been assigned a ticket number and have to drive to the local Microsoft store and see what they can do. Big problem for me is I purchased it early 2016 so it is out of warranty.

My guess is that this is due to a firmware update gone bad. Since reinstalling the OS and drivers does not fix it, my guess is something in the Bios is screwed up.
Damn....

David

OP
O

Omaru73

David can you send ne the linked that MS gave you? I would like see if my device is out of date driver. Also my SP4 is out of warranty..
Thanks

Wevenhuis

wow, that bad after 2 years? I'm already worried about the new surface pros. Curious to know what the fix was. Keep me posted.

DaveTN

Hi Omaru, sorry. I haven't taken it to the Microsoft Store yet to be checked due to my work schedule. I'll hopefully be able to do that this weekend. I'll let you know.

David

DaveTN

Well, no luck. I took my SP4 and TypeCover to a local MS store and explained what was going on. The tech there spent about a hour or so working on it to no avail. He told me that he has seen several over the last couple months with the same problem. He told me that of those that he worked on, a few never ended up working. He told me that there is no official MS bulletin with a specific fix or timeline for a fix. He agrees that it must be a firmware issue and said that its possible that a future firmware update MIGHT fix it.

I was offered an "out of warranty replacement" at a cost of $699.00! F$%# no. I was given an alternative to take it to a MS repair center about 3 hours away from me in Nashville TN, but it would still cost me to fix it and there was no guarantee. Nope, not gonna have it cracked open if there is a chance that it can't be fixed.

In the mean time, I've purchased a decent bluetooth keyboard with a track pad to use. Hopefully some day soon a patch will roll out to fix it.

David

Tyndall Effect

I'm experiencing the same thing myself. It all started with the last set of updates which included the UEFI update. I've tried running the surface diagnostic tool, cleaning the contacts, the 2 finger reboot, doing a clean OS install, and I've even swapped type covers at the Microsoft store with no luck. I also tried my type cover on one of their Surface Pros and it worked fine. This appears to be a low level UEFI or firmware issue with whatever allows the Surface to see the Surface port on the bottom. When you connect the type cover nothing shows up in Device manager so there is no way to uninstall or reinstall the drivers from there. After spending over an hour at the Microsoft store, the best thing they could do is an out of warranty replacement, like what is mentioned by DaveTN. I also tried calling Microsoft support and they basically said the same thing, which is BS IMO. At the very minimum M$ should be replacing with like hardware until they can figure out what is going on or until they can come out with a tool to reflash your Surface in the event something like this happens.

I've also tried the following How to Update the Surface Pro 3 Firmware Offline using a USB Drive that guide with no luck to force push the UEFI to the Surface one more. When I go to try to flash the UEFI it does not flash it and I'm guessing its because my Surface is already running the latest version. If anyone knows of a way to force it to re-flash let me know.