What's new

Surface keyboard stopped working (in Windows only)

jace999

Recently my surface pro 4 keyboard stopped working and after spending an hour cleaning the ports with a dry cloth and reattaching it 100 times, I realised it was no easy fix. I know many people have faced the same issue and I read around 20 posts revolving around the same problem but mine seems a bit different because my keyboard is perfectly fine. It doesn't have any hardware damage.

Things I have tried to fix the issue:
- Two button shutdown method
- Went to device manager and tried scanning for hardware changes
- Reset my pc while keeping my files
- Reset my pc while deleting all my files (full reset)
- Used 2-3 driver updater software to fix/install the driver but they showed everything except the type cover driver
- Installed the official driver file for my Surface Pro 4 from official Microsoft website and tried to install the specific drivers needed but I don't know if I got them all (can repeat this step please tell me which drivers I need to specifically install)

Points to note:
- My keyboard backlight works completely fine like how it goes out after there's no activity on the keyboard and if I press a key it lights up again. The tiny light on the capslock button turns on and off when I keep pressing the capslock button.
- When I reattach my keyboard there is no delay for the keyboard to get power.
- When I try to go into bios (I forgot my password so I couldn't go into bios) where it asks me my bios password, my keyboard works **COMPLETELY FINE** there. But as soon as I restart, it stops working.
- The keyboard shows up in Bluetooth and other devices in settings but it says "driver error".

OS BUILD:19041.1
Version: 2004
System UEFI: 109.3748.768
Intel Management Engine: 11.8.86.3877
Touch Firmware: 1.107.0.106.28.3

I remember facing this issue right after a restart (it updated?). Could someone please help me? I will answer any questions related to this. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20240116_184523.jpg
    IMG_20240116_184523.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

CoconutColonel

In Windows only? Are you implying that you have two operating systems on your Surface, and that the keyboard works fine on your non-Windows operating system?

OP
J

jace999

In Windows only? Are you implying that you have two operating systems on your Surface, and that the keyboard works fine on your non-Windows operating system?
No, i installed Windows Recovery Tool in my USB and after going to advanced startup then boot from USB, it was like another OS just for the tool where I could only use the tool (everything was in Chinese and it was a ripoff of windows) and my keyboard worked completely fine there.