What's new

Surface Pro 4 news

malberttoo

what I find silly is people wanting all kinds of outlandish "wants" for the SP4... super gaming tablet that runs all games in high settings and connect 5 monitors, (4K at that) and want 0% throttling in a paper thin casing!! people want technology super advanced NOW LOL
people seem to forget about cause and effect... thin tablet with full CPU means your gonna have heating issues!

Absolutely true. But the good news is, IMHO, that the push is now on as far as the individual components go. I am quite excited to see what the Surface looks like 2 or 3 or maybe 4 years out- with a new series Intel processor (beyond even what's coming out this year), USB C, etc. We have a fantastic device now, but I really believe it's just going to get better.

OP
BearFlag

BearFlag

To me, if the SP3 were any bigger, it would be unwieldy as a tablet. A 14-inch Surface is no longer the tablet that can replace your laptop.

We are not saying we want a bigger surface. We want a bigger screen size (=smaller bezel), just like the new Dell XPS 13. I don't think that's an outlandish request.

Kif

Will be interesting to see if anything fancy or new happens with the display on the SP4, just read that MS have acquired n-trig for $200m

It sounds like Microsoft is doubling down on the Surface Pro line by purchasing n-trig. It's funny that analyst were writing the obituary for the whole Surface line just a few months ago. It shows analyst don't really know anything more than any reasonably informed person.

wynand32

It sounds like Microsoft is doubling down on the Surface Pro line by purchasing n-trig. It's funny that analyst were writing the obituary for the whole Surface line just a few months ago. It shows analyst don't really know anything more than any reasonably informed person.

I think you're being overly kind to analysts...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

Controversy sells.

ptrkhh

what I find silly is people wanting all kinds of outlandish "wants" for the SP4... super gaming tablet that runs all games in high settings and connect 5 monitors, (4K at that) and want 0% throttling in a paper thin casing!! people want technology super advanced NOW LOL people seem to forget about cause and effect... thin tablet with full CPU means your gonna have heating issues!
If they want our money, they HAVE TO do something like that. Im not saying that they should bend the law of physics, yet they could, for example, incorporate a GTX980M on the docking station. That could also work.

Remember, just a year ago, having 12" screen, Core i7, and 800gr in one package was just a dream, a wishful thinking or whatever. And if people didn't demand that, we wouldnt have our SP3s.

Liam2349

They can trim the bezels slightly. I don't know what they will do with Core M, but I hope they skip it. SP4 cannot be running Core M - I would certainly skip the device, however Microsoft will be pressured when Apple releases a new, lighter, thinner Macbook. Hopefully the fantastic new machines from Dell will mean Microsoft doesn't have to compete right away, so the SP4 can be saved for the next ultrabook class CPUs later in the year.

I can't see a Surface Mini - even iPad minis are declining, along with all iPads I believe, however I think the minis are the worst off. I don't see any point to creating a Surface Mini. Leave it to OEMs to make some smaller tablets, until they are completely phased out.

kristalsoldier

Will be interesting to see if anything fancy or new happens with the display on the SP4, just read that MS have acquired n-trig for $200m

I suspect that in addition to tightening up the pen/ stylus capability for the Surface line(s), MS will also deploy a stylus for their 1520 successor - be that under the Lumia brand or the Surface brand (though, personally, I feel that MS will not issue even a high-end phone on the Surface brand, which is gradually building up a fantastic equity for itself). The target for such a move would be Apple and not Samsung and the point of contention would be the prosumer/ enterprise/ academic market.

It could also be the case that MS would dissuade their OEMs (like Dell) to avoid going for options like Synaptic by using what will now be MS' in-house N-Trig solutions, which the could bake tightly into the OS going forward.

ptrkhh

It could also be the case that MS would dissuade their OEMs (like Dell) to avoid going for options like Synaptic by using what will now be MS' in-house N-Trig solutions, which the could bake tightly into the OS going forward.
I hope not. They would promote monopoly. And monopoly is never good, unless we are talking about board games.

Liam2349

I hope not. They would promote monopoly. And monopoly is never good, unless we are talking about board games.

I'm sure they will provide an incentive for Windows OEMs to use N-Trig over other solutions. Only other viable solution is Wacom really.