What's new

surface pro sleeps after 2 minutes FIXED

bertopl

I've been struggling with this problem for weeks and tried many different fixes that didn't quite work but finally found one that did. I had the problem of my surface pro going to sleep after approximately 2 minutes of idle no matter what my "sleep" settings were set to in power options. apparently, there is a hidden power option setting in windows 7 and in windows 8 called "system unattended sleep timeout" which, on my surface, kicks in when I wake the computer from sleep using the keyboard / trackpad. I've read on a microsoft board that this unattended sleep feature doesn't kick in if after sleep the machine is woken up with the power button. I haven't tried it myself but went straight to this fix. I'm surprised this hasn't hit more users as I almost always wake my surface from sleep using the keyboard / trackpad. there's a site where you can download the registry entries that will enable the setting in power options:

Power Options - Add "System unattended sleep timeout" - Windows 7 Help Forums

included in that link is a registry file to enable the feature, but also another registry file that hides it in case you want to revert back for whatever reason. just download the file and double-click it to add the registry entries to the windows registry. now when you go into power options -> sleep, you'll have a new setting for "system unattended sleep timeout." I set this to 0 on my system and now all of my power settings are behaving as they should, no reboot necessary. this was really helpful on my system. I was having to reset my power options, set them again and reboot. the settings would stick for a little bit but would always revert back to sleeping after about 2 minutes which was driving me nuts!! reading the microsoft discussions, it's now apparent to me that my settings would work properly after a reboot, but after sleeping and waking with the keyboard / trackpad, it would activate the unattended sleep timer. hope this saves some folks some frustration.

Search tags for this page
surface keeps going to sleep
surface pro 2 windows 10 sleep

surface pro goes to sleep randomly

surface pro keeps going to sleep

system unattended sleep timeout

system unattended sleep timeout windows 10

windows 10 going to sleep after 2 minutes

windows 10 sleep after 2 minutes
windows 10 sleeps after 1 minute
windows 10 sleeps after 2 minutes

Members online