What's new

Surface Pro wakes in bag

kh6idf

New surface pro owner here, reading this thread. My problem is when I put my surface pro into it's neoprene case, all it takes is a bump against something right where the power button is and it turns on.

It would be EASY to fix this problem with a software update that required the button to be held down for several seconds before the surface pro responds to it. This feature could even be user-adjustable.

Other than that, I may have to make some sort of mechanical guard that slips over the power button.

MaxSurface

New surface pro owner here, reading this thread. My problem is when I put my surface pro into it's neoprene case, all it takes is a bump against something right where the power button is and it turns on.

It would be EASY to fix this problem with a software update that required the button to be held down for several seconds before the surface pro responds to it. This feature could even be user-adjustable.

Other than that, I may have to make some sort of mechanical guard that slips over the power button.

With the moko case I use it blocks the power button from being accidentally hit while in a bag. So that might be an option for you. I use this case and still use a neoprene sleeve too. Amazon.com : MoKo Rotatory Detachable Type / Touch Keyboard Cover Companion Sleeve Case for Microsoft Surface Pro 10.6" Inch Windows 8 Tablet, BLACK : Touch Screen Tablet Sleeves : Computers & Accessories

Mine stays in an Incipio sleeve when in transport; snug as a bug in a sleeve. No issues. Also the cover seems to protect the power button while in the sleeve.

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Point taken. But if you’re going to be on the move like that, don’t put it in the bag, that’s what’s causing the overheating.

Of course you can say it’s a flaw in the Surface, but apparently, since it has happened with others, it’ not necessarily the Surface’s fault. Then you can blame it on Windows, and you may be right, but it’s like the old joke goes:

Man says to the doctor, “My arm hurts when I do this.”
The doctor replays, “Then don’t do that.”

As a side note, which is probably a work ethic issue:

“…and it's time to go, but you've not yet finished your work.”

Simple answer, you don’t go.

Or... "You're holding it wrong"
shocked.png

fonzman78

I read this post when it first came out and ignored it since I wasn't experiencing any problems with my SP turning on while in my bag. Then it started happening to me. I would put my SP in my bag after a meeting then find that it was turned on and hot when I went to take it out. I thought it was a fluke but it kept happening. I was miffed that this would suddenly start happening out of the blue. Then I realized that I had started using a USB mouse. I had left the USB nub in the USB port rather than taking it out each time. I doubted this was the problem but I figured I would take the nub before placing the SP in my bag. Sure enough the random turning stopped. I decided to use a Bluetooth mouse and now I don't have the problem any more.

starLog

With my surface pro when I click to turn off display it goes off. Then I lay the pen on the display and in a few seconds like 5 or 10 it wakes up.