What's new

Surface Pro x alternatives if no SP5

MickeyLittle

Well I'm glad you got to try the GB before your return period ran out since that seemed to be the greatest competition for your SP4.

Joseph_Wade

Well, what about Huawei Matebook? I have it for a couple months and it is seems really good. It is not as good as SP4, but could be a good alternative.

MickeyLittle

Well, what about Huawei Matebook? I have it for a couple months and it is seems really good. It is not as good as SP4, but could be a good alternative.

Isn't the Matebook 2 coming out around 5/23? I think the biggest concern I'd have is the processor speeds are around 1.2 GHz and compared to the SP4 being around 2.5 to 3.0 GHz and the Matebooks having the Core M processors rather than the i3, i5, or i7 processors.

But maybe the Core M is enough for the OP?

MickeyLittle

The only review I see on Amazon is awful (that's ashamed as I have been watching for this tablet to release) and I looked and saw another user having identical issues so this T303 looks hands off to me! I say wait for the T304 and then wait to see how it is after a few people get it.

jrioux

The only review I see on Amazon is awful (that's ashamed as I have been watching for this tablet to release) and I looked and saw another user having identical issues so this T303 looks hands off to me! I say wait for the T304 and then wait to see how it is after a few people get it.
You nix it based on ONE review??? I can show you much worse reviews for the SP4 when it came out.

MickeyLittle

You nix it based on ONE review??? I can show you much worse reviews for the SP4 when it came out.

Can we say ONLY review and another person with same issues. So my point was and still is buyer beware since there are only 2 reports out there about this model and both are very negative. In fact the one reviewer has had more than 1 unit and more than one major issue.

Oh and for kicks and grins just go to Asus website and try to buy the T303 version. They have it on their site but the page is dead but Amazon is still selling them to get rid of stock.

Maybe Asus will work on a redesign but for now this just is not ready for market unless I'm wrong and they've just sold so many that they're just totally out of stock :rolleyes:

OP
convergent

convergent

If you want more than the one negative review, here is a very thorough comparison with the of the Asus Transformer T303 vs. the Surface Pro 4, HP Elite x2 1012 G1, Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga, and Acer Aspire Switch 12 Alpha. Asus Transformer 3 Pro T303UA-GN050T Convertible Review The bottom line is that the T303 battery life, while WiFi is turned on, is half that of an SP4. Since the battery life is the only (or at least primary) thing I see as negative on the SP4, the T303 is a non starter.

What this means is that the SP4 is still an excellent choice.

For my personal situation, I'm now wondering if I should just return it and wait to see what comes down the road. Some of my colleagues in India got stung by the WannaCry malware attack this week and it got as far as some SharePoint libraries that I am syncing with. Thankfully I was up to date so it didn't worm past those files. It makes me wonder if its a good idea to put both work and personal stuff on one machine, and to operate a non-domain (and IT supported) laptop for work.

OP
convergent

convergent

MickeyLittle

Has anyone any experience with the Acer Switch Alpha? Base on reviews, its very compatible to the SP4 and much less expensive. I'm tempted to order one from Amazon to review tomorrow before this weekend when I have to keep or return the SP4. $869 for i7, 8G, 512GB including keyboard, but not the pen which would be another $40.

Amazon.com: Acer Switch Alpha 12 2-in-1, 12" QHD Touch, Intel Core i7, 8GB Memory, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, SA5-271-71NX: Electronics

It looks good and the reviews look good. It is not the quality of the SP4 in as much as the keyboard, stylus, and speakers go but those are things that you can try and decide for yourself if they matter enough or not in the long run.

Keep us posted ;)

kristalsoldier

Not that you
I finally got to check out the Galaxy Book at a Verizon store today. Bottom line is I would not want this over the SP4. The things I didn't like were:
- lack of kickstand when off the keyboard, and even when on keyboard
- keyboard was too flimsy for my liking... really flexed a lot and I thought I was going to break it pulling it lose from the GB because the magnets are too strong
- display seemed dull compared to SP4
- looks too similar last to iPad

I'll stick with the SP4 and take the shorter battery life.

Not that you guys don't know about this, but for the record, here is a short review of the Samsung Galaxy Book.

MickeyLittle

Not that you

Not that you guys don't know about this, but for the record, here is a short review of the Samsung Galaxy Book.

Nice review from Lisa. One thing I disagree with is that she dogs Microsoft by stating that Samsung included the keyboard but she doesn't clean that up by stating that Samsung is charging $130 more than what the Surface Pro 4 cost back at release date for the same i5 4gb 128 model. If I remember correctly.