What's new

Surface Pro3 in endless reboot loop

aerdna

I am working on a Surface Pro3 that is now in an endless reboot loop. It gets to the Surface logo (red background) and just keeps rebooting over and over. I've tried using my USB recovery disk, but it errors out and says it cannot continue. I've also tried a reset, but it tells me it cannot reset after going through to 66%. I've tried all of the techniques I could find on these forums, but have had no success. Any suggestions would be most appreciated - I cannot get to a login screen at all.

When I choose "Recover from drive" I get an error that they System Drive is too small. I tried to go back to the previous build, but that ship sailed after the first time I tried to reset.

Last edited:

leeshor

Welcome to the forum
This was posted in the Surface 3, not Pro 3 forum. For now I'm moving it there but you don't say if you are on 8.1 or 10, If on 10 it will be moved again.

If you have an SD card installed, try removing it first.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Red Boot screen denotes Secure boot is disabled or the encryption key is not valid or damaged, go into the UEFI and load the default keys...

OP
A

aerdna

Welcome to the forum
Th9is was posted in the Surface 3, not Pro 3 forum. For now I'm moving it there but you don't say if you are on 8.1 or 10, If on 10 it will be moved again.

If you have an SD card installed, try removing it first.
Ok. Thanks. It's Windows 10 and there is no SD card

OP
A

aerdna

Red Boot screen denotes Secure boot is disabled or the encryption key is not valid or damaged, go into the UEFI and load the default keys...
It is set to install All Factory Default Keys (windows and 3rd party). I will try Windows only and see what happens

OP
A

aerdna

I am working on a Surface Pro3 that is now in an endless reboot loop. It gets to the Surface logo (red background) and just keeps rebooting over and over. I've tried using my USB recovery disk, but it errors out and says it cannot continue. I've also tried a reset, but it tells me it cannot reset after going through to 66%. I've tried all of the techniques I could find on these forums, but have had no success. Any suggestions would be most appreciated - I cannot get to a login screen at all.

When I choose "Recover from drive" I get an error that they System Drive is too small. I tried to go back to the previous build, but that ship sailed after the first time I tried to reset.

I've gotten it to stop rebooting thanks to Jnjroach! However, I still cannot reinstall Windows 10. Tells me a partition is missing or that my drive is too small (when I try to use the Recovery Disk)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When you get to the screen that allows you to select where to install what do you see?

OP
A

aerdna

When you get to the screen that allows you to select where to install what do you see?
I can't get that far. I can select to install from USB, which is the only option, but now I am getting an error that the disk is too small, which I know it isn't. I formatted the hard drive to start all over - I figured I would just reinstall Windows 10, but now it says it's missing a partition.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can't get that far. I can select to install from USB, which is the only option, but now I am getting an error that the disk is too small, which I know it isn't. I formatted the hard drive to start all over - I figured I would just reinstall Windows 10, but now it says it's missing a partition.
Did you create a GPT or MBR Partition?