What's new

Surface seems little bended?

Sin

Interesting. I wonder how they producing the case. If they are machining it, then they have a fixturing problem, since if a piece of junk milling machine is going to hold better flatness than I'm seeing. I don't believe there is anything wrong with mine, like I don't believe it's cracked. The manufacturing engineer in me just want to know more about how our Surfaces are made.

yeewiz

I think it's just normal product variation. I put a straightedge on mine. From side to side at the top by the camera, mine is just ever so slightly convex. At the middle just at the joint to the stand, it's straight

Starfire

If you notice, at least on mine I can see bent reflections in the glass on the front near the bottom also, near the windows button.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I think it's just normal product variation. I put a straightedge on mine. From side to side at the top by the camera, mine is just ever so slightly convex. At the middle just at the joint to the stand, it's straight

I agree, this isn't part of a space-shuttle, so there is no need for an absolutely flat, well uh... Surface. If the variation is almost imperceptible and you have to go through the effort of finding absolutely flat surfaces and edges to check with then it is close enough in tolerance to be used as a tablet, which after all is what it is. I suspect if you checked almost any mass produced item this thoroughly you would find the same thing.

Sin

I agree that the variation is probably reasonable for a tablet, but at the same time if mine was convex instead of concave, I would be annoyed by the rocking. Just makes me curious on how it's made.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I agree that the variation is probably reasonable for a tablet, but at the same time if mine was convex instead of concave, I would be annoyed by the rocking. Just makes me curious on how it's made.

Yes, convex could be a problem ;) Fortunately it seems the variation is only towards concave. Though I don't know the specifics of the process it is known that MS is using a a vapor MG casting process. In my mind that means sort of like a traditional casting but the material is deposited in the mold as a vapor rather than a liquid. Of course that is just my imagination but it sounds reasonable :)

Sin

The variation would male sense for a casting process. I believe that the Magnesium is vapor and cold quickly to improve the material strength during the casting process.

Sin

Hi guys im new here how do i create a post with some questions?
Welcome! Best to search the forums and if you don't find the answer to your question, choose and enter the most appropriate sub-forum, then create a new post (red button in the upper left side, "+ Post New Thread", and ask away.