What's new

System Hardware Update Download?

netuser

The only way I can access the new December 17th update v1.1.421.0 is when I check for Windows Updates online.
Where can we download that update so we can deploy it offline and include it in our Windows image?
When I go to the Surface Book download page, I only see the older drivers and firmware files from December 7th and it is a time and bandwidth waste to have to pull this update over the Internet down to each Surface Book using Windows Update.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The only way I can access the new December 17th update v1.1.421.0 is when I check for Windows Updates online.
Where can we download that update so we can deploy it offline and include it in our Windows image?
When I go to the Surface Book download page, I only see the older drivers and firmware files from December 7th and it is a time and bandwidth waste to have to pull this update over the Internet down to each Surface Book using Windows Update.
It takes them up to 2 business weeks to upload the driver download package, add the Holidays into the mix, it will be sometime in January. Are you using WSUS or SCCM?

OP
N

netuser

Is the "hardware update" all Surface Book drivers and firmware or just new ones that were changed?
We don't normally include driver updates in WSUS because the driver classification includes way too many drivers and there is no way to configure WSUS to only download drivers relevant to the hardware in our environment.
We can't configure WSUS to only download Microsoft Surface drivers or even to only download drivers for Windows 10.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is the "hardware update" all Surface Book drivers and firmware or just new ones that were changed?
We don't normally include driver updates in WSUS because the driver classification includes way too many drivers and there is no way to configure WSUS to only download drivers relevant to the hardware in our environment.
We can't configure WSUS to only download Microsoft Surface drivers or even to only download drivers for Windows 10.
Using a GPO with the appropriate filters should allow you target the machine correctly....or wait till January for the new driver package.

OP
N

netuser

A GPO doesn't control which drivers gets downloaded to the WSUS server and need to be approved or declined.
We don't want to download 10,000 hardware drivers if we only are going to use 20 of them. Just downloading all the non-applicable drivers is a huge waste of time, bandwidth and drive space.
So, it looks like we will have to wait until January.

OP
N

netuser

It takes them up to 2 business weeks to upload the driver download package, add the Holidays into the mix, it will be sometime in January. Are you using WSUS or SCCM?

I see that a new driver package download was released a few days ago. Download Surface Book Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center
I unzipped the file and imported the drivers into MDT, but I see a problem. When I only used the drivers and firmware included in the January 4th zip package, many drivers were missing. I had to reimport the older drivers to get everything.
Then I went to Windows Update and checked for more updates and the December 17th system update was still required.
Shouldn't the January 4th download include all of the drivers and firmware including the ones included in the December 17th system hardware update?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I see that a new driver package download was released a few days ago. Download Surface Book Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center
I unzipped the file and imported the drivers into MDT, but I see a problem. When I only used the drivers and firmware included in the January 4th zip package, many drivers were missing. I had to reimport the older drivers to get everything.
Then I went to Windows Update and checked for more updates and the December 17th system update was still required.
Shouldn't the January 4th download include all of the drivers and firmware including the ones included in the December 17th system hardware update?

Has MDT been updated to support 1511? The Driver Package is nearly 800MB so it sounds like your task sequencer didn't import the entire driver package. I see 7 Driver Folders, each with multiple sub folders, all driver signatures are dated 12/18/2015. I see an additional 5 Firmware Folders all with the same signature date.

Have you considered using the .msi and add it to the post image task?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I thought of using the MSI, but I thought the dPU drivers are not included in the MSI.
Looking at the MSI through a package manager is see this:

upload_2016-1-8_11-24-6.png

ncameron

Was this new update supposed to show up on Windows Update? It certainly didn't for me.
Is it the famed Connected Standby update?!?!