What's new

The crux of Windows RT devises.

SEANT

I sense a renewed excitement from Microsoft as it adapts to this more mobile computing trend. They may have been late to, but look to become the life of, the party. They also look to challenge the 2010-2012 notion of content creation vs. consumption devises. Interestingly, though, the Surface Pro and Surface 2 are very closely grouped. Both could qualify as 'the most productive tablet ever built'. And now there are these new BayTrail devises.

I’ve read several comments to various blog post stating something to the affect - ‘Microsoft doesn’t get it. People don’t want to be reminded of work while using their tablets.’ A sentiment, conceivably, similar to the notion of a getaway weekend – an excursion to which work issues, perhaps even cell phones, are excluded. When people are using their tablets, it is just to relax.

Personally, I find content creation to be both relaxing and entertaining. I suspect that this forum contains a very high percentage of likeminded individuals (though, quite possibly not indicative of the consumer market at large). I also suspect that we’d like to see the Windows ecosystem do more than just contend.

Do these Windows inspired tablets have too similar a focus? Will they actually become their own toughest competition? Does Microsoft need to further differentiate their Pro/RT strategies to appeal to a larger overall percentage of the consumer market?

If so, how would you like to see Windows RT’s focus modified?

kristalsoldier

Interesting post! I share some of your sentiments. While I cannot speak for what MS will do and the role that they wish to play in the mobile device market, my perception (and this is important to flag - it is merely my perception) of what they are attempting to do with Win RT is innovative. I think, MS has correctly recognized that the vast percentage of users don't exploit the full capabilities of the Win OS. Thus the RT. Having said that though MS has still a lot of ways top go with this. In the first instance, they need to solve the desktop issue, which principally involves issuing a Modern UI version of Office (which, to all intents and purposes, is supposed to be solved by the release of Office Gemini sometime next year). But that is not the only problem. I think - again personal perception - MS needs to allow different browsers to work in the RT space. I think this is critical. Lastly, I also think MS needs to rapidly unify the Win Phone OS and RT with the former moving into the latter's space. The attendant effect, among other things, would allow the RT platform to gain the advantages of the apps that are now dedicated to the Win Phone space. This would immensely help the tablet front of things. If I am not mistaken this is also something that I think MS is working on, if I am not mistaken.

I say all this keeping in view my usage patterns. I have been using Windows for a very long time - since XP days - though my use had been purely functional in the sense that I have not delved deep into the OS (save for what was absolutely necessary). I used XP and its successive iterations as mere platforms on which I got my work done. This involved using apps (formerly known as Programs) of various kinds but my focus remained Office. It has also been some years since I moved to using laptops (it is only recently that I bought a desktop machine. But I have also noticed that my allegiance to the so-called legacy apps was minimal (aside from using non-IE browsers, which was principally Opera and then Chrome). Thus, when the Surface RT came out, I bought it thinking that if nothing else it would be an experiment and considering that my employer was paying for it, my risks were, in effect zero. Surprisingly, however, I found that the Surface fitted my needs virtually to a 'T'. Of course, there was the issue of sluggishness, the initial issues around Win 8.0 and the very fact of getting used to the form factor. I also noticed that my orientation to the Surface was in terms of a laptop rather than a tablet. I think this is because I have a couple of tablets that are dedicated for specific functions - my iPad4 for reading and my Nexus 10 for watching movies etc.

The arrival of the Surface 2 was, for me, the icing on the cake. It was what I imagined an early 21st Century mobile device would be like. It is fast, svelte and elegant, and benefitted from the changes that Win 8.1 brought. I now use it most of the time and don't miss my desktop machine too much. But then again, recall, that I have very little use for legacy apps. Whatever legacy apps I need I access using remote desktop.

I am now looking forward to the release of Office Gemini (and I hope MS does not screw up the plethora of options that the Office Suite has traditionally offered). And, while other browsers would be nice, I really don't miss Chrome. Indeed, I find myself increasingly remaining with IE11 even on my desktop machine.

So, why this extended recounting of my usage? Simply to demonstrate the fact that I recognize that I am a user who does not fully exploit the full Windows OS and to that extent, it is wasted on me. For my purposes, RT seems to work just fine. Of course, I do notice that there are some gaps, which I think will either take a long time to be filled or which may never be - such as a good reference software. But if there is one for iOS, then I don't see what it is not possible to develop one for the RT platform.

Thus, from my perspective, I find the RT platform not simply appealing, but also revolutionary since it serves to clearly serve my specific needs with little wastage or excess.

OP
S

SEANT

Our usage is fairly similar; I also have a long history with Windows based computing. I’ve accumulated proficiencies in legacy apps that I assumed would be indispensable when considering any new computing devise. As a matter of fact, the purchase of the Surface was only justified due to the lowest price of admission for Windows 8 and Tablet format, to which I wanted some hands on. I had a prejudice, though, in what I consider a tool versus a toy.

The more I used the tablet, the more I appreciated what Microsoft was attempting to do (To some degree, I would have come to a similar conclusion had I made an iOS/Android choice). The Surface gave me almost exactly as much as I would be willing to do on such a small screen.

I feel that old prejudiced mindset re-emerging when I hear about the Windows RT/WP merger, with a base emphasis on Windows Phone. That sounds too debilitating. But it also sounds like the more ‘differentiated’ offering that I alluded to in my OP. Consumption emphasized, Creation deprecated in an effort to broaden the appeal. Should (or do we think Microsoft will have) the BayTrails represent the Creation Lite machines?

kristalsoldier

Our usage is fairly similar; I also have a long history with Windows based computing. I’ve accumulated proficiencies in legacy apps that I assumed would be indispensable when considering any new computing devise. As a matter of fact, the purchase of the Surface was only justified due to the lowest price of admission for Windows 8 and Tablet format, to which I wanted some hands on. I had a prejudice, though, in what I consider a tool versus a toy.

The more I used the tablet, the more I appreciated what Microsoft was attempting to do (To some degree, I would have come to a similar conclusion had I made an iOS/Android choice). The Surface gave me almost exactly as much as I would be willing to do on such a small screen.

I feel that old prejudiced mindset re-emerging when I hear about the Windows RT/WP merger, with a base emphasis on Windows Phone. That sounds too debilitating. But it also sounds like the more ‘differentiated’ offering that I alluded to in my OP. Consumption emphasized, Creation deprecated in an effort to broaden the appeal. Should (or do we think Microsoft will have) the BayTrails represent the Creation Lite machines?

I am not sure I follow what you mean when you say "I feel that old prejudiced mindset re-emerging when I hear about the Windows RT/WP merger, with a base emphasis on Windows Phone..." Just to clarify, I think, the mobile OS should be unitary across phones and tablets. And by this I mean that WP should be replaced by RT rather than the other way around. Why? Because then they will be able to support each other in terms of apps. In the specific case of RT, it would rapidly expand RT's app base.

OP
S

SEANT

I should have wrote ". . . .my old prejudiced mindset re-emerging . . . ."

Combining OSs probably makes sense, though everyone commenting on the plan says something like " . . . . it's easier to add to WP than it is to subtract from Windows RT". In either event the resulting OS sounds less capable than the current RT. I instinctively find that worrisome, due to the aforementioned prejudice. It may very well be the perfect option to gain market share from the likes of Kindle HDX, though.

kristalsoldier

I should have wrote ". . . .my old prejudiced mindset re-emerging . . . ."

Combining OSs probably makes sense, though everyone commenting on the plan says something like " . . . . it's easier to add to WP than it is to subtract from Windows RT". In either event the resulting OS sounds less capable than the current RT. I instinctively find that worrisome, due to the aforementioned prejudice. It may very well be the perfect option to gain market share from the likes of Kindle HDX, though.

Yeah... OK. I understand. Though I think extending the RT OS to WP is probably better than the other way around. That way users can get the best of both worlds. By extending RT, I don't mean reducing RT in any way. It just means - though I don't know if it is technically possible - Windows Phones using RT as an OS or those elements of RT that can be used as a Phone OS, which would be similar to what is happening in the Google and iOS space. I would be really disappointed if Win Phone 8 OS is extended to the tablet form within the MS scheme of things.

Last edited:
OP
S

SEANT

. . . . I would be really disappointed if Win Phone 8 OS is extended to the tablet form within the MS scheme of things.

Same here. Though I do own and enjoy a Nokia 822. Unless taking photos is considered content creation, though, it is strictly a consumption devise.

The final decision for RT/WT may be a numbers game. I know several people who want nothing to do with computers at all, some others only mildly interested. Conceivably, There are numerous consumers intimidated by an aura of capability/complexity that a pure consumption devise would not portray. I wonder what percentage of potential customers that might be. Is it 15% or 75%.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that what we actually see that Windows RT will be the under pinning of the new merged Phone/RT OS. The unified OS team at MS needed the Phone 8 hardware to mature to the point that it could run RT (2GB of RAM, full HD). With the Nokia 1520 we have reached this level.

Office Gemini will usher in the Desktop-less RT future, so the Windows on ARM Platform will have a near-full Office Experience across phones, phablets and tablets and iOS and Android will have the Mobile Touch Versions. With GDR 3 of Phone 8, RT and Phone will share around 77% of all APIs. I predict that come Windows 8.2/Phone 8.2 (or Windows 9) will have the merged environments across the ARM Platform.

kristalsoldier

I believe that what we actually see that Windows RT will be the under pinning of the new merged Phone/RT OS. The unified OS team at MS needed the Phone 8 hardware to mature to the point that it could run RT (2GB of RAM, full HD). With the Nokia 1520 we have reached this level.

Office Gemini will usher in the Desktop-less RT future, so the Windows on ARM Platform will have a near-full Office Experience across phones, phablets and tablets and iOS and Android will have the Mobile Touch Versions. With GDR 3 of Phone 8, RT and Phone will share around 77% of all APIs. I predict that come Windows 8.2/Phone 8.2 (or Windows 9) will have the merged environments across the ARM Platform.

When do you expect this to happen and do you think the current Surface 2 hardware will run at least the first iteration of the 8.2 or 9.0 version of the integrated OS?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I think we'll see this next fall personally, The Surface RT and 2 should be fine and I'm hoping that my brand new Nokia Lumia 1520 (just bought it) will see that upgrade as well since it is essentially the same hardware as the RT Nokia 2520 Lumia Tablet.

kristalsoldier

I think we'll see this next fall personally, The Surface RT and 2 should be fine and I'm hoping that my brand new Nokia Lumia 1520 (just bought it) will see that upgrade as well since it is essentially the same hardware as the RT Nokia 2520 Lumia Tablet.

The Lumia 1520 is that humongous phablet, isn't it? How is it?