What's new

The i5 , i7 or the Broadwell

fatexl

I can't make my decision , should I get an i5 , i7 or should I wait for the Broadwell version ( Is there any confirmation about the Broadwell version will guarantee come out at the end of the year ? Because everyone says like it's being confirmed )
My daily usage :
Check the web
Watch some videos
Listens to music
check mails
Do Photoshop , illustrator , Sony Vegas and After Effect.
Edit :
Desktop gaming
Install lots of stuff like Bluestacks , VPN etc.

I heard someone said :

The Broadwell change alone will bring 40% faster graphics and 30% more energy efficiency.

Is this actually true , because that improvement is really great. If there is a guarantee that it will be release by the end of the year , I might wait for it.

So , what do you recommend me , the i5 , i7 or wait for the Broadwell ? I was expecting to use this device for more than 2~3 years

Last edited:

MickeyLittle

If broadwell is that important then wait. Everything on your list until the line with Photoshop was screaming for the i5 model so I guess it depends on how heavy you plan to do those things.

Jvette

With an ssd and I5 and 8gb of ram I don't see any problem doing what you want to do with the SP3. I'm sure the new processor will be better and if you can wait then you should.

OP
F

fatexl

So , the broadwell version is confirmed to be release ? I'm not sure if my country will release it too. I live in Malaysia , and we always gets the latest device like half years after U.S. gets it. We skipped Surface Pro 2 too. Surface Pro 2 isn't in stores in Malaysia but Surface Pro 3 is coming. I'm not sure if I should really wait , it could disappoint me too.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Don't expect Braswell and/or SP4 until at the earliest Q2 C2015 in the US and Canada with a staggered global release that follows traditional timelines... no announcements just normal speculative FUD by we the Armchair pundits....

I dont see broadwell coming to the sp3. It would make no sense for MS to release the chips on a 6 month old platform to immediately release an SP4 with virtually identical hardware. It would canabalize sales from their new flagship.

The SP4 isnt coming this year, if you want to wait 8 more months and can great, otherwise everything you listed in the OP says i5 wouls be MORE than enough.

MDS

I'd think Microsoft has a tight relationship with Intel, a fact even mentioned during the Surface Pro 3 announcement. Therefore, the Broadwell chip with equivalent power as the current i5/i7 will come at a much later time which caused Microsoft to move forward with the release using current chips. I'll bet the first Broadwell processor devises will just improve on the atom processor but not reach the same speeds as current Haswell processors. If this turns out to be true the first Broadwell processor would be a better fit for the Surface 2 update and not the pro line. Ya I buy into the Surface RT thing because its not going anywhere other than merging with Windows Phone. There is a need for a striped down operating system. Someday that might not be true.

After much thought and research I ordered the Surface Pro 3. Anyway, most processor for tablet improvements are just step increases such as maybe a couple hours of battery life or graphics.

A better question might be should one wait to upgrade to a Broadwell devise or wait for the next best Haswell with the better speed memory which is also coming to Broadwell later. Intel Devil's Canyon, Pentium Anniversary and DDR4 Haswell

Before anyone posts there are always better things coming and therefore one would be waiting forever, it seems appropriate to review the next best tech to see if it meets your needs because existing tech does not. If Surface three gets what you need done in terms of power then order it. The larger screen was significantly different than Surface pro 2 and if you need that than order Surface Pro 3. The same could be said if you needed a better keyboard pad or kickstand or whatever.

Eventually the Surface Pro design would have evolved into what it is intended to be. Surface Pro 3 might be there. If so, we will be able to do what we do with desktops and laptops which is to not upgrade until our existing machine dies or the battery shows sign of wear which is maybe every four years. If you loose $300 to $400 each year by selling off the existing Surface for the new model, waiting four years to upgrade is about the same cost. Not to add confusion to the decision process, but selling your existing Surface off and buying the new is monetarily about the same as waiting for the next best thing. Therefore resale value of the Surface pro becomes as valuable as the new processor. Apple has the resale value, for now, which made it good for folks moving through iPad 1 to 4.

My personal strategy regarding Surface was to sell off the old and preorder the new. This may change with Surface Pro 3 because it appears to be so damn good for meeting my needs which again was the Surface with a larger screen. Sold my laptop off and use the desktop at home very little. So, diverted expense of upgrading desktop into a better tablet/laptop combo.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ironically your prediction on the ATOM is potentially true as what is rumored for Windows Threshold is the merged RT and Phone OS but runs on all lower systems including ATOM all without a desktop. I still think the Surface will have an ARM and Course Variant no ATOM version. Also Cherry Trail is more delayed than Broadwell.

MDS

Ironically your prediction on the ATOM is potentially true as what is rumored for Windows Threshold is the merged RT and Phone OS but runs on all lower systems including ATOM all without a desktop. I still think the Surface will have an ARM and Course Variant no ATOM version. Also Cherry Trail is more delayed than Broadwell.

Now I'm wondering if the Surface Pro 3 i7 models are delayed because it's getting the Haswell chip processor with the fast ram. Not that most who can do with the i5 should consider the i7. I'll have to check again to see if Microsoft formally announced the Surface Pro 3 i7 processor. Again Microsoft knows Intel's moves and builds it into their own carefully planned release schedules.

On second thought I'm not interested in an i7 so I'll just wait and see what happens.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt they would change the fundamental design to support the newer speed as they have an advantage of using the same parts outside of the CPU. I posted the CPU list on the first page of this thread.

MickeyLittle

Ok I know I'm a little slow to the party here but does anybody else see the resemblance to Android with the alpha name thing (Atom, Bay Trail, Cherry Trail) or is it just me?:cool2: