What's new

The student/productivity thread

kristalsoldier

I was thinking it would be good to have a thread going sharing productivity/study/scholastic tips for getting the most of your Surface Pro 3. This is meant to share tips, and ask questions, this device has made my life so much easier, and I know there is still a lot more features I have yet to use. I work at a fire department fulltime, and am currently taking 16 credits, I'll share how the SP3 has made life easier for me.

- OneNote 2013. This, from a student standpoint, is THE program, almost makes my entire purchase worth it for this one program. I know I have only scratched the surface on it's abilities too. I have all my text books in here split into sections, I have all my notes in here as well. I like how I can annotate everything, put it in dock mode and look stuff up online, then bring an image straight into my notes. It organizes everything very well and I can search through everything. Yes there are things to be desired, but it does a pretty darn good job over all.

Thanks! Very interesting and informative. I was about that line which appears in bold in the section quoted above. What does this mean? Can you please explain what precisely you are doing to the books and why?

M

ManUnited

This is a brilliant idea for a thread; however, I am coming from the other side of the lectern. I teach English and want to use a Surface Pro 3 in my university classroom. I've been using a MacBook Pro Retina with Word, Scrivener, Safari, and Evernote as my in-class tools.

The SP3 has me intrigued because of OneNote and inking in Word. My class setup has an HD projector and four HD 50-inch monitors so the students can see what I am projecting or to work in peer groups and project their own works.

Have any of you used the shared notebooks featured in OneNote? I have used the same feature in Evernote, but OneNote seems to have more features (at least on the Windows platform; the Mac client is rather poor.) I would love to set up shared notebooks for all my different majors (usually Nursing, Business, Education, and Sciences) so students can share notes and resources.

One last question, can a SP3 make it through a full day? One thing I love about the MBP is I never carry my charger to campus. I usually get between 8-9 hours of usage.

Cheers.

Teddy Playgroup

This is a excellent post!...I've bookmarked it for when I start classes later this year. I'm leaning towards buying a Surface 2 for my little sister who's in school now..Oh and OneNote is THE BEST...I used it for work and home and it is THE Standard :)

Tom

Regarding use to deliver lectures (ManUnited's post), that's the reason I bought my SP3. I will try it live next week for the first time. I also plan to record lectures. Here's my plan:

* Use an Actiontec ScreenBeam wireless display. It works well with the SP3 after the firmware is upgraded. It has an HDMI out, so I also have an HDMI to DVI cable and an active HDMI to VGA converter, so hopefully I can connect to whatever's onsite.

* Wireless mouse and keyboard. The standard keyboard gets in the way when drawing.

* Use OneNote desktop in fullscreen mode to deliver lectures. With a few custom "Quick Action" buttons (usable with the keyboard - Alt-1, Alt-2, etc.), I can switch between pen colors and other functions easily. Share my notebook to students (read only). One thing I'm worried about is the syncing delay for students watching on their tablets.

* External USB mic for recording lectures.

* I may also try using my phone and a lapel mic to record sound.

* Camtasia for capturing and editing a screencast. It's $300 but nice. CamStudio is a free alternative.

If I didn't use the USB mic, I could probably walk around with my SP3. I couldn't find any wireless mics that were low cost.

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

For you ManUnited (I'll try to not discriminate, to much...) I think the SP3 can be perfect. For battery life, youll get around 7-8, but during your lectures, won't you be able to plug it in? It does not have the battery life of that MBP, but it's still pretty darn good.

And for OneNote share, I believe there is a "share groups" option. And I don't know how it is for the school you teach at, but where I am, we use programs called "blackboard" and "moodle", where teachers can post announcements, host files, all of that for the students. A good alternative is to create a Dropbox account just for your students to access, and at the end of the day you can just upload the days notes to that. All of this can be a good Band-Aid (or just continue doing what you are doing) until you can figure out the notebook sharing of OneNote and one drive.

Share my notebook to students (read only). One thing I'm worried about is the syncing delay for students watching on their tablets.

Can you elaborate on how to set up the share notebook for your students, and how to make it read only. And why would the syncing delay be an issue? As long as they get the full thing at the end, isn't that what matter?

Tom

In Onenote, File | Share | Get a Sharing Link | View Link should work.

You're right on syncing speed. I was also thinking of using the feature for WebEx style presentations where that'd be more of an issue. But for classroom use, it shouldn't. If it was a meeting or discussion group where it wasn't read only, that's another situation where it'd be important.

M

ManUnited

And for OneNote share, I believe there is a "share groups" option. And I don't know how it is for the school you teach at, but where I am, we use programs called "blackboard" and "moodle", where teachers can post announcements, host files, all of that for the students. A good alternative is to create a Dropbox account just for your students to access, and at the end of the day you can just upload the days notes to that.

While my University does use Blackboard (I am on the Beta team that just piloted the new version for our campus), all Learning Management Systems (BB, Moodle, etc.) require students to log-in each time. I am looking for a way to share notes (Professor-Student and Student-Student) without the log-in process. I just want them to show up on the students' devices.

The immediacy of OneNote intrigues me. Whether using it as a digital whiteboard, annotating documents, or using it as a repository for web clips, OneNote will disperse all those elements to each students' chosen device. I am seeing students bring Phablets, Tablets, or Laptops to class to take notes. As I said in the last post, Evernote allowed me to distribute that material before the students left class. OneNote and the SP3 goes a step further by allowing me to handwrite or annotate a document in class and share it immediately.

This is what excites me about the SP3 in the classroom. Distributing the material immediately.

(BTW — my university is a Microsoft campus. All students and faculty get Office Professional and OneDrive Business accounts. We do not use Google products and our IT department is sketchy on using Dropbox, even though I use the service, but mainly for personal use.)

I would love to hear from the students in this thread to see if this seems appealing. I have never enjoyed the idea of students having to take notes off my notes. (Didn't like it as a student and certainly do not like it as a professor.) I'm looking for the best way to share my notes and in the most expedient method.

M

ManUnited

* Camtasia for capturing and editing a screencast. It's $300 but nice. CamStudio is a free alternative.

Our campus has a site license for Camtasia, so I definitely will use that application for screencasts.

Since I am accustomed to the Mac-platform, may I ask what audio-capture software you use? And, do you record the entire class or do you use it to record brief overviews for those students who missed class?

Cheers.

M

ManUnited

Two further questions for those of you in higher education:

1) Do you use track changes in Word? One reason I returned the Surface 2 was due to a lack of space for the student's paper and my comments. However, with the new 3:2 ratio, the SP3 may work better.

2) I have read that the text in the desktop applications look horrible. All the demo models I have seen do not have Office installed on them for me to test this feature.

Since I grade papers constantly, this is a major factor in whether I purchase an SP3 or not. (Again, the Retina MBP has spoiled me and my eyes this summer.)

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

Since I am accustomed to the Mac-platform, may I ask what audio-capture software you use? And, do you record the entire class or do you use it to record brief overviews for those students who missed class?

Camtasia records audio in two tracks:

(1) System audio -- examples are beeps and audio from movies you show

(2) External audio -- the SP's built-in mic or a USB mic (recommended)

I plan to record the entire class. I haven't decided what to actually distribute, yet. It'll probably vary by class.