What's new

The Verge Review

netuser

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/14/8409591/microsoft-surface-3-tablet-review

It says it is not great as either a tablet or a laptop due to compromises in design.

I agree that there should be a Surface-type laptop.
I would prefer a true clamshell laptop with similar specs to the Surface 3 that works better on your lap and on a bed than a Surface balancing on a kickstand.
The Surface is something I'm seriously considering because I don't really see a better choice. This is not because the Surface is so fantastic, but because the alternatives are worse.
The ideal laptop for me would be a 11-12 inch ultralight laptop with IPS screen, TPM and backlit keyvoard with very long battery life (more than 8 hours of normal use with screen at a normal brightness level).
Basically a Windows version of the $899 Macbook Air for less.
Asus UX305 is closest, but it is too large and heavy and no backlit keyboard is available.
The new Dell XPS 13 is close, but seems to be missing TPM at least on the base model.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/14/8409591/microsoft-surface-3-tablet-review

It says it is not great as either a tablet or a laptop due to compromises in design.

I agree that there should be a Surface-type laptop.
I would prefer a true clamshell laptop with similar specs to the Surface 3 that works better on your lap and on a bed than a Surface balancing on a kickstand.
The Surface is something I'm seriously considering because I don't really see a better choice. This is not because the Surface is so fantastic, but because the alternatives are worse.
The ideal laptop for me would be a 11-12 inch ultralight laptop with IPS screen, TPM and backlit keyvoard with very long battery life (more than 8 hours of normal use with screen at a normal brightness level).
Basically a Windows version of the $899 Macbook Air for less.
Asus UX305 is closest, but it is too large and heavy and no backlit keyboard is available.
The new Dell XPS 13 is close, but seems to be missing TPM at least on the base model.
You are looking for a business class Ultrabook at a ATOM level pricing? Any of the ATOM based 2 and 1's will have a TPM as it is required for Connected Standby....but they won't have the build quality of the Surface line...

OP
N

netuser

You are looking for a business class Ultrabook at a ATOM level pricing? Any of the ATOM based 2 and 1's will have a TPM as it is required for Connected Standby....but they won't have the build quality of the Surface line...
They could have the same build quality at a lower price if it was't for the additional expense/complexity of making it a 2 in one tablet with add-on keyboard instead of a standard clamshell in the style of a Macbook Air.
At the moment, I think the Surface 3 is the only Cherry Trail product available. More should become available in the coming weeks and months.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Obviously this reviewer has strong preconceived notions about what he thinks a device should be... kinda like the guy who said in 1898, everything that can be invented has already been invented.

You just have to take these with a grain of salt, not everyone is cut out to be an objective reviewer. While everyone has an opinion some opinions are less valuable than others. :)

Last edited:

Nuspieds

There are so many Windows laptops and ultrabooks available that it shouldn't be a problem to find the right one that suits your needs.

Then there's the Surface: It is neither a laptop nor an ultrabook, so don't consider it if those are your needs.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are so many Windows laptops and ultrabooks available that it shouldn't be a problem to find the right one that suits your needs.

Then there's the Surface: It is neither a laptop nor an ultrabook, so don't consider it if those are your needs.

I needed a laptop (ultrabook was my market) so i bought the surface. It works just great as a laptop. I don't understand why people say it won't meet this need. It kicks the ass out of my mums 9 series samsung ultrabook.

OP
N

netuser

There shouldn't be a problem, but there is.
I see zero Windows laptops under $800 or even under $1000 that have the following specs.
Weigh under 3lbs
TPM chip
Flash/SSD storage
backlit keyboard
Available with Windows 8.1 Pro factory installed
Rated over 8 hours battery life.

The Surface 3 is the only option and it is a compromise because it isn't a laptop. It is a tablet with kickstand and add-on keyboard which means the keyboard and trackpad are not as good as a traditional laptop and it isn't as stable when used on your lap.

Maybe in a few months more Cherry Trail and Core M laptops will come out that will meet these needs, but the Surface 3 is the only thing I see today.

Nuspieds

I needed a laptop (ultrabook was my market) so i bought the surface. It works just great as a laptop. I don't understand why people say it won't meet this need. It kicks the ass out of my mums 9 series samsung ultrabook.
I replaced my ThinkPad laptop with the SP1 and never looked back.

But that still does not make the Surface a laptop. A single USB port and a single mini DP port? That's all?! And the physical keyboard is extra??!! What??!! Well, for me, sure, not a problem! However, if I started to moan and groan about the limited number of ports, etc., then I probably should be looking at another class of devices.

As it stands now and has stood since I purchased the SP1, I want a Windows tablet first and foremost, and that's why the Surface works for me.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I replaced my ThinkPad laptop with the SP1 and never looked back.

But that still does not make the Surface a laptop. A single USB port and a single mini DP port? That's all?! And the physical keyboard is extra??!! What??!! Well, for me, sure, not a problem! However, if I started to moan and groan about the limited number of ports, etc., then I probably should be looking at another class of devices.

As it stands now and has stood since I purchased the SP1, I want a Windows tablet first and foremost, and that's why the Surface works for me.

Ports, accessories, what is in the box, what it all costs, I find those irrelevant personally. I used my mums ultrabook before deciding what to buy, and while it has an extra usb port (that i don't use) this thing does everything hers does. I can't consider it as not a laptop (i mean ultrabooks, but i just call anything like this a laptop, easier for others to understand from my experience) just because it happens to be a 2-in-1. I use mine as a laptop near every day, and it does everything i need from a laptop. I also use it in tablet mode, and windows 10 aside, it does everything i need from a tablet. People say it excels as neither, but that's just their opinion (some people discredit it as a tablet simply because of app availability).

Nuspieds

I see zero Windows laptops under $800 or even under $1000 that have the following specs.
Weigh under 3lbs
TPM chip
Flash/SSD storage
backlit keyboard

The Surface 3 is the only option and it is a compromise because it isn't a laptop. It is a tablet with kickstand and add-on keyboard which means the keyboard and trackpad are not as good as a traditional laptop and it isn't as stable when used on your lap.

Maybe in a few months more Cherry Trail and Core M laptops will come out that will meet these needs, but the Surface 3 is the only thing I see today.
But this certainly isn't a Surface problem.

I understand that you want to use the Surface as a barometer to find and select another class of device, but if the market does not have type of device (or does not have it at a price you can afford), then your option is to either wait or select the device that best matches the Surface's specs that are important to you.

Yes, it certainly can be frustrating when you're trying to get your requirements met 100% but are unable to do so based on what's currently offered in the marketplace but, unfortunately, your options become limited at that point. This reminds me of when I was adamant about connecting multiple monitors to my SP. I already had one and it was 30" and I was in the market for a second one, but it had to be DP 1.2-compliant and 30". I wasn't willing to budge with the 30", so I chose to wait until one was eventually brought to market. It was an agonizing wait, but definitely eventually worth it in the end. :)

zhenya

Weigh under 3lbs
TPM chip
Flash/SSD storage
backlit keyboard

Dell XPS 13. Starts at $799. +$50 to meet the Windows Pro requirement.

I guess you need to go the the i5-5200u to get TPM - but that still falls under your $1000 price ceiling. You are asking for pro level features here. Those tend to cost extra money.