What's new

Third Party Chargers

It was clearly stated in their product description that it won't work for the RT. Perhaps it doesn't have the electronics needed to support the RT, i.e., dumb.

Well, it specifcally says that it is smart and has an ic for control. So far after a couple of nights with the computer on it full time I can't see any issues. The only thing that it apparently lacks is the light on the magnetic plug (it's located on the charger box itself).

riggi

Update to the charger that I bought in post #44.

I keep the 3rd party charger at work and the MS one at home.

In the office this morning, I noticed that my SP went to battery power (I have the screen set dimmer when on battery, so it's easy to tell when the original MS charger is not connected properly. The 3rd party charger connects properly without having to wiggle the connector).
I thought that the connector wasn't connected properly so I went to check it and I noticed that the connector was really hot.
Then, when I disconnected it and looked at it, this is what I saw...

2013-07-15 08.17.25-1.jpg

So, I got a bit over 2 months use out of it (using it every weekday in the office).

I'll just stick to my original MS one for now and carry it with the SP.

I'm glad that it happened while I was looking at the SP so that I noticed it. If I was away from the desk, It might have continued to melt and done some damage to the SP.

jsmac8218

Car Charger?

The 3rd party charger I ordered from eBay finally arrived after a month.

DSC_0079_zps8117e42b.jpg

In the preceeding photo, you'll find the input voltage specification, 110-220V which is nearly universal. The output voltage specification at 12V / 2A is clearly printed. And we can disregard the connector pin configuration that shows positive center, as this is not the pin of the product.

DSC_0078_zps300ad453.jpg

In the preceeding photo, we number the pins 1-5, from left to right. Pins 1,5 are the ground pins. Pins 2,4 are the positive supply pins which at unloaded state puts out +6V DC (thereabouts). The center pin, pin 3, is supposed to be a control pin. I covered it with tape, and the Surface RT still continues to charge.

This is nearly the same specifications as the Apple MagSafe.

Hi All, new to this forum and SurPro, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I bought a DC charger off Amazon from "Sikai Car Charger Cigarette Lighter Adapter for Microsoft Surface Tablet Pc Windows Rt" and it arrived very quickly. However, two complaints: 1) The converter end buzzes a lot when plugged in and 2) the mag adapter end does not stay connected worth a darn. Don't plan on using the SP while it is plugged in as the adapter will fall off continuosly. I did ask for a refund and I got the paperwork very quickly,

so here's my question. Does anyone have a good DC cig adapter solution that works? Please provide the link.

Thanks

Update to the charger that I bought in post #44.

I keep the 3rd party charger at work and the MS one at home.

In the office this morning, I noticed that my SP went to battery power (I have the screen set dimmer when on battery, so it's easy to tell when the original MS charger is not connected properly. The 3rd party charger connects properly without having to wiggle the connector).
I thought that the connector wasn't connected properly so I went to check it and I noticed that the connector was really hot.
Then, when I disconnected it and looked at it, this is what I saw...

View attachment 955

So, I got a bit over 2 months use out of it (using it every weekday in the office).

I'll just stick to my original MS one for now and carry it with the SP.

I'm glad that it happened while I was looking at the SP so that I noticed it. If I was away from the desk, It might have continued to melt and done some damage to the SP.

Bad news; that is the one I bought. I must admit that the charger input is my least favorite part of my Pro; I find it a pain to get the normal charger seated correctly and worse on the third party charger. That damage looks like arcing occurred; was the connection good? Sorry to hear about yours demise.

Padron26

I bought the same one That Arnold C got, ive mentioned a few times in the external battery pack thread that I had arcing. with this particular charger/connector.

it was 14.99 +/- on ebay, I would not recommend it. also one of the charger 120v prongs came out and was stuck in my surge protector last week. that just shows what you get for $15

riggi

Bad news; that is the one I bought. I must admit that the charger input is my least favorite part of my Pro; I find it a pain to get the normal charger seated correctly and worse on the third party charger. That damage looks like arcing occurred; was the connection good? Sorry to hear about yours demise.

The connection seemed fine. It was charging as normal for a while, maybe half an hour or an hour (charging indicator in systray and screen brighter). But, then I noticed that the screen went dim, which told me it was no longer charging, and that prompted me to check the connection.

Trovahead

My ebay cheapo has died. It worked for a while - but I had some of the arcing issues as well before and it continued to work fine. Now my RT won't recognize it.

gangolfus

Rather than risk arcing/melting/frying I decided to pick up a used genuine adapter from Amazon. $35 for a genuine Pro adapter seemed like a much better buy than a Chinese knockoff.