What's new

This has to go back...

grumpy

I'm pretty frustrated right now. I've been going back and forth now for a day or two about possibly returning my SP3. I sold my SP2 losing $400 in the process from when I bought it. I got this, thinking, it would at least perform at a minimum, the same as my SP2.

You could always go back to the SP2. With the recent price drop, if you buy new, you would only be out $200. Then you could wait for the Broadwell SP3s.

godson594

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you just have a bad unit. I had multiple bad SP2 and people will always chime in and say "I have had mine xxx amount of days with zero issues" - That's fine and dandy but not everything is perfect, return it while you can. Get a new one - even if the problem stops it will always be in the back of your head that the problem may come back. I would just go swap it out and be done.

Dajackal9999

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if you just have a bad unit. I had multiple bad SP2 and people will always chime in and say "I have had mine xxx amount of days with zero issues" - That's fine and dandy but not everything is perfect, return it while you can. Get a new one - even if the problem stops it will always be in the back of your head that the problem may come back. I would just go swap it out and be done.

Agreed. My surface had a keyboard issue and would become unresponsive with the backlight blinking. I thought it was the keyboard and went to BB with the entire unit. They put on a new keyboard and same thing. Entirely new surface and voilà ! I have not had a problem since... not one. This tends to lead me to believe the QA process was not too tight for the Pro 3 to get it out the door although I feel the great majority are fine. And MS usually buttons up issues quickly.

scfoster

My first question would be "did you call MS Support"? What was their response? Unless you've given MS the opportunity to solve your problem directly (I called about a wi-fi issue), then you're just bitching. Apologies in advance if you have in fact called them and they had no solution to your issue. I haven't read anywhere in this thread that you have done so.

CrippsCorner

Yup just sounds like you've unfortunately got a dud dude. No one else is having the same problems... that's just the way it is. Happens with every device out there, I'd just go back and swap it out for another one :)

leeshor

This is just a thought, (and your Surface could be faulty), but those symptoms can be caused by malware. I have seen that many times before on my customer's systems when they thought for sure it was hardware. It rarely is.

scottysize

You've got a problem. Try reformatting, or returning it for a replacement. Something. Trust those who have said it above, you have a problem with your specific device. This is not how the SP3 runs. The only time my fan has even kicked on was when I had it upside down playing a game covering the top fan ports. I simply turned it over and the fan turned off after a few seconds. That was plugged in. Plugged in, mine gets warm from charging he battery. I've never had the fan kick on unplugged.

Geneo

Yup just sounds like you've unfortunately got a dud dude. No one else is having the same problems... that's just the way it is. Happens with every device out there, I'd just go back and swap it out for another one :)

Indeed.
Of course, posts here are usually from people with problems.
I spent over an hour this morning looking at the Dell, Sony, Levono, Acer, Samsung, and other brand's forums. I got bored because they seemed to be repeating the same problems over and over, regardless of brand or model.

I'm sorry some people are having problems. Unlucky? Maybe. Expectations too high? Maybe. But is the SP3 a 'bad' computer? No, and certainly no worse or has more problems than any of the others out there.

OP
L

liftbikerun

I'm just so thoroughly annoyed with this stuff, I had to swap my SP2 once, luckily the store was local to me about 5 minutes, but the Microsoft Store is all the way across town a good 45 minute drive from where I live. This isn't an Apple vs MS thing, but damn, I've owned at least 10 MB Pros, Airs, 3 iMacs, and NONE have had Quality issues, both MS items I buy and both of them have issues out of the box? That's tough for me to swallow. I'll decide by the end of the day if it's worth hassling. Maybe I'll just go back to what I know, I gave up MS cold turkey in college and swapped to all Mac stuff. We own 2 Macbook Pros, 3 27" iMacs, 2 iPads, 3 iPhones and countless iPods, but I loved the tablet'ness of the surface, wasn't totally happy with the screen size of the SP2, so upgraded to the SP3.... It's pretty, but it sure doesn't replace things like MS says it should.

I don't really get why the entire computer slowed down to the point that it was almost unusable. After cooling down, it started working fine again. I've heard a lot about the throttling for the SP3, and it sure hit, the thing was jerking and skipping all over the place, I'd go to write something and 2 seconds later 10 words would show up, I'd go to delete and the cursor wouldn't move and then all of a sudden 5 words would disappear, I'd go to enlarge a window, and it would jitter open or closed visibly hampered by the throttling the SP3 was enabling.

*While this means nothing but anecdotally, I was a fairly competent tech support rep in college, did my fair share of programming, graduated in computer engineering, so I have a pretty good feel for checking the basics, the computer has very few programs installed, the CPU was sitting at 2% utilization for well over 30 minutes, and never fully cooled off even after restarting the computer twice, and it took a full 35 minutes and a complete shut down, then a cold boot to get the computer to go back to normal.

Upon my first reboot, it went back to normal for about 1 minute, and then it started skipping and jittering again, then I restated again, this time same thing, used it for another 10 minutes and decided to try to shut it down instead of just restarting it. After shutting it down and letting it sit for 2 - 3 minutes then booting back up, after 35 minutes of the jitters, it finally went back to normal.

Last edited:

wynand32

Before I give up on the SP3 for good, I'd swap it out for a different unit. I'm having audio popping when using headphones (a big deal to me because I listen to music while working pretty much constantly), and I'm thinking of swapping mine out.

I know you're frustrated, and I can see how this experience has soured you on the SP3 in general, but trust me: this is an EXCELLENT machine when it's not running as yours is. I've not experienced any of the symptoms that you have, and enough others have said they're not either to give you some confidence that you simply have a bad unit.

OP
L

liftbikerun

I did uninstall the game, the issue I mainly am having is, what if I want to play another game? I guess I need to run some stress tests and see if it's going to keep happening. I can't figure out why this one said game would cause issue, but maybe. I'll post back after running some CPU and Video stress tests.