What's new

Touch or Type cover

David404

Hi All

Just got a Mk1 Surface RT, quite impressed so far. Looking to get a cover and unsure, touch2 or type2. Cost isn't an issue they are so close. Welcome opinion/comment/suggestion from users of both on the pro's and cons of each. How are you getting on with these in the field and folks who got a touch and wish they had a type and vice versa.

Any known/common issues with either?

Kind Regards.
David.

jimkraz

Well from my experience I could not get the type cover to work, though it should according to MS, so I have a touch cover for my RT and a type cover for my Pro.

TunaSurface

I have the touch 1, its okay but it took a couple of months to get used to.
I'd definitely trade to the type cover just to try it out.
So personally, even though I haven't tried it, id take the type 2.

Matt

The type cover is better if you actually do a lot of typing. The touch covers OK but takes a bit of getting used to. If you plan to fold the cover back regularly and use the RT as a traditional tablet the the thinness and flat surface of the touch cover is more comfortable than the type cover. I usually peel my type cover of the SP when using as a tablet, when using th eRT with the touch cover I just fold it back.

MamaN

Well from my experience I could not get the type cover to work, though it should according to MS, so I have a touch cover for my RT and a type cover for my Pro.
Mine quits working and I have to go in to Settings, Change PC Settings, and under Useful Keys turn Filter Keys off. Then it works again.

mwsvette

If you get a Touch get the Touch 2. Its easier to use (more sensors under the keys), thinner, lighter and backlit. I have had both. If you type a lot you will want the Type Cover. With the exception of being backlit the differences between a Type and Type 2 cover are small. I also have a power cover, I do not know if those work with the RT.