What's new

Type Cover not working

hatuey

Hello,

What happens to me:

My Surface Pro 4 (SP4) has a video issue that make the screen to flick. Searching in the Microsoft site, I found that I should download/install Surface Diagnostic Tool.

When running it, it ask to create a Restore Point, ok. It runs all the test/fixed.

After this, the video stop flickering BUT the Type Cover stop working (it works in the UEFi!).

My Windows is up-to-date (Windows version 1709).

I followed many tips found around the internet (including this forum):

- delete the drivers in the Device Manager, reset;
- hard button shutdown;
- hard button shutdown, two button (volume up + Power for 15 seconds) on;
- turn off/on the Type Cover in the Device section of UEFI;
- download the latest drivers from Microsoft site;
- tried to Restore to a point created by the Surface Diagnostic Tool, but the restoration was unsuccessfully;
- hard button shutdown, two button (volume up + Power for more than 15 seconds) to got the Recovery options. In this screen I selected to made a recovery from a restore point, but the SP complains that there isn't a restore point.

Somewhere I read that this is a problem of the Firmware. As the Type Cover works in the UEFi, I found this very strange (my UEFi is 108.1926.769).

Any ideas?

Note 1: the SP is not commercially available in Brazil, so, nothing about Microsoft Stores.
Note 2: I tried to talk to someone in the Microsoft Costume Support, but as the warranty of SP is off, I couldn't.

Elmar

I am experiencing the EXACT same problem, and gone through the same exact steps yesterday. i find it odd that we're both experiencing this at the same time. Did you by any chance make any changes to tablet mode? my screen doesn't rotate any more either. not sure if it's related.
It's the strangest and most annoying thing. Also a very expensive one. I have the exact combination of your problem. Screen stuck in portrait and a type cover that doesn't seem to work. However it works in the BIOS. Also when I reinstall a clean windows it gets back to landscape to turn to portrait after a while(+- 30min). Type cover still doesn't work after reinstalling windows (tried it twice)

@microsoft the least you could do is admit your failure and take back surface pro devices with this problem. Its clearly a manufacturing problem. Show some loyalty to your customers if you want the same from us.

Elmar

Hello,

What happens to me:

My Surface Pro 4 (SP4) has a video issue that make the screen to flick. Searching in the Microsoft site, I found that I should download/install Surface Diagnostic Tool.

When running it, it ask to create a Restore Point, ok. It runs all the test/fixed.

After this, the video stop flickering BUT the Type Cover stop working (it works in the UEFi!).

My Windows is up-to-date (Windows version 1709).

I followed many tips found around the internet (including this forum):

- delete the drivers in the Device Manager, reset;
- hard button shutdown;
- hard button shutdown, two button (volume up + Power for 15 seconds) on;
- turn off/on the Type Cover in the Device section of UEFI;
- download the latest drivers from Microsoft site;
- tried to Restore to a point created by the Surface Diagnostic Tool, but the restoration was unsuccessfully;
- hard button shutdown, two button (volume up + Power for more than 15 seconds) to got the Recovery options. In this screen I selected to made a recovery from a restore point, but the SP complains that there isn't a restore point.

Somewhere I read that this is a problem of the Firmware. As the Type Cover works in the UEFi, I found this very strange (my UEFi is 108.1926.769).

Any ideas?

Note 1: the SP is not commercially available in Brazil, so, nothing about Microsoft Stores.
Note 2: I tried to talk to someone in the Microsoft Costume Support, but as the warranty of SP is off, I couldn't.
I also have the same issue and tried all the above. For me in the uefi it also works. Straaaaange. Also my screen gets stuck in portrait after a while. Maybe theyre related. Microsoft you're testing my nerves...

Binh

I also have the same issue and tried all the above. For me in the uefi it also works. Straaaaange. Also my screen gets stuck in portrait after a while. Maybe theyre related. Microsoft you're testing my nerves...

I take it no resolution has been made on this? I started having this issue about two weeks ago. Portrait mode works for me but the keyboard and touchpad doesn't. The back lighting seems to work and I also get full functionality in UEFI.