What's new

Urban Armor Gear Red Case - Quick Review w/ Pics

Geek.Verve

My point being, how many laptops, tablets, and phones have you seen get damaged from overheating? Now, how many have you seen get damaged from being dropped?

In my case the answer to the first question is two, and they were critical failures. The answer to the second one is none, as I am uber careful with my stuff.

I love the look of the case, and I'm sure you're going to enjoy the heck out of it. I have to fall on the side of msolok, though. The *only* thing keeping me from buying a case like this is that it insulates the back of the SP3, where much of the cooling happens. The heat spikes on mine on a fairly regular basis, causing the fans to kick in. It's usually caused by Defender doing whatever it does in the background and some other OS background tasks, but when it does, the back gets pretty warm.

Dblkk

I just got mine about an hour ago. Black one. Really like it. I'd say love it, but I wish it was even more thick/rugged/ect. But overall very pleased.

I created a new thread with 'black case' and posted pictures.
http://www.surfaceforums.net/threads/urban-armor-gear-black-case-review-with-pics.11951/#post-92913

I also put a link to your/this thread in my post as well, hope you don't mind. I wasn't trying to duplicate threads, but I also didn't want to hijack your thread either. Plus with yours being red, and then mine being black, I figured it was different enough to warrant a different thread.

spepi

I found it to be a little bit of a nightmare to put on......because I was afraid I would crack the screen....but once it was on, it fit perfect. I dont see myself taking it off, unless I get a dock and use as my primary machine at work...

pokemonmaster

Hi, so I originally got a red one, and thought it was too bright for my taste. So I e-mailed UAG and they were cool enough with me to exchange for a black one. If you don't mind my asking, did you have trouble taking your case on and off? When I took off my red one to check for any scratches caused by the case (there were not any), and then I tried to put the case back on, I noticed the edges of the case around the front of the screen were not fitting as well as it did initially. I see in your pictures the black edges of yours covered up the edges of your screen so that none of the silver paint is exposed, but did you happen to notice the same thing I did? If so, what do you think the best and easiest way to slide the SP3 in and out of the case? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

TeknoBlast

Just got my today and made a rough video of the unboxing and installing it. This is not the best production so bare with me.

Dblkk

I'll watch video when I'm not on mobile. As for case, I had to cut the top right so my pen loop would fit. But I did top of surface in first, placed in middle and then pushed top up, while I pulled pen loop through the cut slot, then worked top corners and side edges on, the bottom pretty much snapped in perfect. Have taken mine out since

tuchas

URBAN ARMOR GEAR for Surface Pro 3 - Amazon

This is what happen's when you merge Spiderman's suit with Urban Armor. You get the most solid, robust case the world has ever seen. Seriously, this is the best looking case I have ever seen for any device in my entire life. I'm not kidding. If the red case is Spidey's suit, then it's safe to say the black case is the Venom version!......

Jesse, great review, but I do have one question for you and others. I have a docking station. Obviously you can't dock the SP3 with this case, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to get this in and out of this case. When I'm home I'll either have it docked and won't have the case on, but I travel a fair amount and I'd use this case when I'm away from home. Will I be causing any damage to the SP3 by periodically removing and reinstalling the case? Is it made for that sort of thing? Your answers will help me decide in the next day or so to bite the bullet and buy one. Thanks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Here are pics of my SP3 in the Urban Armor Gear Rouge case (iPhone 6 Plus has a matching case).

I have Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Docking Stations at home and at work. The Urban Armor Gear case is easy to remove from the Surface Pro 3, because the rubber is not too stiff. Some other cases are made from PVC, not rubber, which provides far less impact resistance, and makes the case difficult to remove. But the UAG case is removed by peeling back any corner. The SP3 then peels and pops out. Reverse the order to replace. Firmly place any SP3 corner into the corresponding Urban Armor Gear corner, then pinch each of the other three corners between your thumb and fingers. After three months of frequent placement and removal of the UAG case, my SP3 shows no damage or wear.

Note the extra rubber at the corners which acts as a good 'bumper' of protection, and the nice, wide, ventilation holes along the top edge.

IMG_5070.JPG

IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5079.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5325.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5745.JPG

Dblkk

Jesse, great review, but I do have one question for you and others. I have a docking station. Obviously you can't dock the SP3 with this case, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to get this in and out of this case. When I'm home I'll either have it docked and won't have the case on, but I travel a fair amount and I'd use this case when I'm away from home. Will I be causing any damage to the SP3 by periodically removing and reinstalling the case? Is it made for that sort of thing? Your answers will help me decide in the next day or so to bite the bullet and buy one. Thanks.
I'll also agree with the ease of removal and re-installation. I have the docking station in my office at work. Push to 2x Dell 24 1080p monitors and a Samsung 1024X748 (wonderware graphics for clients are set up for this spec and its either work in a small window at 1080p or old school monitor but full screen). I love the fact I can push to all these by just sliding my surface in.
But I also feel like I can break the sp3 by just holding it, its so thin/light its just amazing, but I know myself very well so in the case it goes.

I'd say 2/4 weeks a month I'm in the office and every morning I take the case off and put it into my dock, and every night I take it off the dock and put it back into the case. I've been doing this for a few months now, and the case is more flexible and makes the surface easier yet to remove and install It hasn't effected the fit or protection it offers when the surface is in it though.

My biggest reason for the case. Is the other 2/4 weeks of the month I travel for work, most is by plane. And even though the surface is small, it falls off the airline trays constantly. I don't know how many times I've now dropped my surface or that it fell. But Still looks brand new!

tuchas

Here are pics of my SP3 in the Urban Armor Gear Rouge case (iPhone 6 Plus has a matching case).

I have Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Docking Stations at home and at work. The Urban Armor Gear case is easy to remove from the Surface Pro 3, because the rubber is not too stiff. Some other cases are made from PVC, not rubber, which provides far less impact resistance, and makes the case difficult to remove. But the UAG case is removed by peeling back any corner. The SP3 then peels and pops out. Reverse the order to replace. Firmly place any SP3 corner into the corresponding Urban Armor Gear corner, then pinch each of the other three corners between your thumb and fingers. After three months of frequent placement and removal of the UAG case, my SP3 shows no damage or wear.

Note the extra rubber at the corners which acts as a good 'bumper' of protection, and the nice, wide, ventilation holes along the top edge.

sharpcolorado, thanks for your info - it was very helpful. Your pictures are awesome as well. I'm picking a UAG case today.

tuchas

I'll also agree with the ease of removal and re-installation. I have the docking station in my office at work. Push to 2x Dell 24 1080p monitors and a Samsung 1024X748 (wonderware graphics for clients are set up for this spec and its either work in a small window at 1080p or old school monitor but full screen). I love the fact I can push to all these by just sliding my surface in.
But I also feel like I can break the sp3 by just holding it, its so thin/light its just amazing, but I know myself very well so in the case it goes.

I'd say 2/4 weeks a month I'm in the office and every morning I take the case off and put it into my dock, and every night I take it off the dock and put it back into the case. I've been doing this for a few months now, and the case is more flexible and makes the surface easier yet to remove and install It hasn't effected the fit or protection it offers when the surface is in it though.

My biggest reason for the case. Is the other 2/4 weeks of the month I travel for work, most is by plane. And even though the surface is small, it falls off the airline trays constantly. I don't know how many times I've now dropped my surface or that it fell. But Still looks brand new!

Thanks, Dblkk. You just confirmed my decision.

mitchellvii

This is a nice case but there is a BIG difference between holding a 2 lb tablet and a 3 pound tablet. Also, where on the case do you carry your mouse and charger? Right, you will still need a bag for those. So unless you are the kind of person who tends to drop your tablet/ultrabook (while I've dropped my cell phone many times, I've never dropped a tablet or ultrabook), I'm not sure what this case does for me in exchange for an extra pound of weight.

For me, a quality carry bag designed for the SP3 which can store cords and mouse is a better solution.